17| betrayals, promises

Taryn sat on the top of Wall Rose, looking over the horizon where the sun was beginning to shine. Munching on some salted crackers, she watched how the clouds in the sky moved, slowly floating away, the sight being particularly calming and a distraction from the chaos that had just occurred.

She took another bite, chewing softly on the food. Jean was beside her rummaging for supplies from one of the supply boxes, the noise of metal tins clanging against each other paired with the soft hum of the morning winds made for an interesting harmony.

He found a jug of clean water, opening the lid before offering it to her. "Water?"

She shook her head. "No thanks."

He placed the jug down beside him, turning his attention unto the box again and pulling out another packet of biscuits. "Food?"

She shook her head again. "I'm eating some now."

The boy dug into the box once more, this time retrieving what seemed to be a raincoat of some sort. She furrowed her brows as he handed it over to her, confusion washing over her features as she looked at him and his outstretched hand.

"Um, it isn't raining..."

He shrugged. "If you're cold."

She chuckled, slowly pushing his hand and the raincoat away. She was a bit surprised at his sudden behavior. "I'm fine, Jean."

"Suit yourself, then." He rolled his eyes, frowning as he sat back down on the surface. Ripping open the packet of biscuits he found earlier, he began to munch on the edibles, the two of them eating in silence while staring at the breathtaking scenery that was sunrise.

Chattering could be heard in the background, along with the soft creaking of the lifts and machinery they used to transport materials. Taryn glanced around, hoping to see some familiar faces, and gladly saw her friends making their way over to them, their arms high in the air as they waved at her.

She waved back at them eagerly before looking back down to her crackers, only to find that she had consumed the whole bag. She narrowed her eyes accusingly at the empty wrapper, as if blaming it. She hadn't had a proper meal ever since they arrived at Stohess and now she was bearing the consequences, her stomach growling in hunger.

Jean noticed, of course, sending her a quick glance. He then gave her his share of food without hesitation, something that made Taryn gape at him as if he had just grown two heads.

"What is wrong with you? You're being unbelievably nice today." She mused, shaking her head in disbelief.

"Is it wrong to make sure you're fed and not starving to death?" He snapped back. "Now take it before I change my mind."

She grinned as she took the biscuits from his hold, dragging the flimsy paper packaging towards her. "Thank you, dear sir." Putting a piece in her mouth, she bit into the dough, tasting the flavors. Soft and chewy, a bit plain, but it sufficed to satisfy her hunger for the time being.

Footsteps were heard approaching. They both looked up to see Sasha, Connie and Mikasa, standing side by side and staring down at them. Sasha and Mikasa were clad in their uniforms, full ODM gear strapped on, blades restocked and sharp. Connie, who had been detained along with Taryn, was dressed in his normal clothes, much like her.

Mikasa spoke first, breaking the silence. "You all made it back safely," She said, slightly ducking her head. "I'm glad."

Taryn smiled at the girl, but it faltered once her thoughts wandered to the brunette who was in a far worse shape than the rest of them. "Except for Ymir, though. If it weren't for her...we might've been dead way before you guys even arrived."