31 | attrition

It wasn't long until only a week remained before the dreaded mission to Shiganshina. As the days counted down, the tension in the air within the Scout Regiment grew tenfold. The barracks buzzed with a fervent energy as soldiers devoted themselves to relentless training, their hard work evident with every bead of sweat that dripped down their brows.

In the dimly lit workshops, blacksmiths worked ceaselessly, crafting Thunderspears with speed to meet the surging demand from the Scouts. The officers conducted daily briefings, maps of the Shiganshina district unfurled before them, discussing strategies and contingencies. The weight of their impending mission bore heavily on every soldier's mind, but they masked their fears with unwavering resolve.

The group of new recruits, however, particularly those acquainted with Floch Forster, had taken the job of raising the bravado of the frightened soldiers. Their methods of instilling falsehoods and tales of bravery to their comrades proved to be quite effective, as the number of nervous, trembling recruits seem to dwindle day by day.

Though the others wondered how long this would last, as the veterans knew all too well the horrors they would eventually face in the battlefield.

Connie, Sasha, and Taryn had found themselves in the unfortunate situation of sharing the Mess Hall with Floch and his boisterous entourage. These soldiers not only had a penchant for being excessively loud and rowdy, but also seemed to relish in the opportunity to deliver what they called 'motivational' speeches to the recruits. Much like Eren did when they were trainees, but Floch took it to a whole new level and was much worse.

So, the three of them had developed an unspoken rule: avoid Floch and his group at all costs during mealtimes. They had learned the hard way that sitting anywhere within earshot of Floch's cronies meant risking a meal drowned out by pretentious speeches about duty, sacrifice, and the impending titan threats.

Today didn't seem to go as planned. They arrived a bit early, and soon Floch and his group joined them. It was hard not to roll their eyes when the noisy soldiers cheered loudly.

Sasha, clearly irritated, glanced back at the rowdy soldiers. "I'm quite surprised Captain Levi hasn't reprimanded them yet."

Taryn casually took a bite of her eggs. "He probably thinks there's no point. They do help boost morale among the recruits."

Connie sighed, playing with his food. "Where's Keith Shadis when you need him?"

Sasha squeaked in fear, knowing her history with the Instructor. Both Taryn and Connie burst into laughter, teasing her until she chucked a piece of bread at them in irritation.

They were joined by a few more of the people in their circle. Eren himself, along with Mikasa and Armin. Followed by Marlo, who lately had been a new addition to their group—and finally, Jean. Taryn felt his gaze on her, but she tried to avoid his eyes, pretending to be interested with swirling the dregs around in her cup of tea.

Since they were in the same circle of friends, it was unavoidable for her and Jean to be eating at the same table. However, the tension between them was still evident, as what used to be a pair that sat together now sat at opposite ends of the table, as far from each other as possible. And Taryn was quite literally pretending as if Jean didn't exist, no matter how hard the boy tried to get her attention.

It didn't take long for the rest of their friends to figure out that something had gone seriously wrong between them. Reactions among the group were mixed, but there was an unanimous agreement on one point—Jean had fucked up, terribly.

Naturally, they all sided with Taryn on the situation.

Sasha greeted the others with her usual wide smile, while Connie managed to mumble a greeting despite having a mouthful of food. Taryn looked up and waved to them as well, making it a point to exclude a certain someone in her greetings.