27 | together, not

Sounds of people shuffling around the room were the first things to greet Taryn as she drifted into consciousness, followed by the sensation of her head pounding painfully. Though the room considerably was chilly and low in temperature, her body felt hot and sweaty as her clothes stuck to her skin uncomfortably. The blanket wrapped around her snugly didn't help at all, only increasing the heat that she felt. If she didn't know any better, she would've thought she was dying.

"Sasha, wake her up." Came a voice, monotone but concerned. A pair of hands then made their way to her shoulders, shaking her gently. She wanted to wake up but she felt too tired to open her eyes, let alone move a muscle. Even breathing seemed to be much of an effort.

"I'm trying, but she won't budge," Another voice said, a little higher in pitch this time.  She heard shuffling again, the people in the room inching closer to her. "Did she die of a heart attack?"

"She's breathing." Said the other voice, though her mind worked well enough for her to recognize them already. Mikasa.

"Oh, right," The other person—Sasha, laughed, before her hands moved to shake her body again. "Taryn, wake up! It's breakfast time already!" The girl wailed as she pleaded, and it was obvious from her voice that she was growing distressed at the thought of missing out on the most important meal of the day.

She heard a sigh and she felt her mattress sink from an extra weight, no doubt Sasha sitting down next to her. "Don't tell me you're gonna be all shy now," She muttered, nudging the sleeping girl softly on the head. "Taryn?"

She still didn't feel like moving, yet she made an effort to wake herself up, letting her eyelids open enough for her to see the both of them looming over her bed, their faces riddled with concern. Sasha's expression brightened at the sight of her while Mikasa managed a small smile, glad to see her okay.

Sasha outstretched a hand to feel her forehead, retracting back almost immediately as she touched her hot skin. "Damn, you're hot!" She exclaimed, her brows furrowing in worry. "Goodness, what happened to you?"

Mikasa leaned in to inspect her as well, pressing the back of her hand softy against the girl's exposed neck. "I think she has a fever."

"Oh no," Sasha frowned. "Should we call a doctor?"

"No," Taryn managed to croak out, shaking her head slightly. "I can take care of myself, you guys go ahead."

The two glanced at each other, troubled by what to do. Turning to face her, Mikasa raised a brow at the girl. "Are you sure?"

She gave out a small nod. "Yeah, I'll be fine. I just need to rest," She told them. The two still didn't budge, however, causing Taryn to laugh slightly and put on a smile to reassure them. "I'm okay, really."

Seeing that she was well enough to be amused, they let out relieved sighs and returned the gesture. "Okay, we'll get going." Mikasa said as she ruffled her hair, pulling her blanket further up her body and tucking her in.

Sasha beamed at her. "We'll try to steal some medicine from the infirmary." The girl told her, before looping ana rm around Mikasa and walking towards the exit, waving Taryn goodbye. "See you! Get well."

Taryn could only laugh at them as she watched them run out the room, with Mikasa scolding Sasha about watching her step. "Don't get into trouble." She mumbled sleepily, her eyes fluttering shut once more.

The door gave out a loud click that echoed throughout the room, signaling that she was all alone. Days where she got to sleep in were rare, so even if she felt like shit and aching all over, she savored the feeling. Wallowing further into the sheets of her bed, it wasn't long until she drifted back to sleep again, the warmth of her blanket enveloping her body like a hug proving enough to lull her into a deep slumber.