Chapter 9

Lukes parents in here r different than his actual parents, cuz liz is queen and this mom is a bitch (:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Luke arrived home later that night.

His parents were watching TV in their living room when Luke entered.

"Lucas, where have you been?" His mom said, facing her son. "It's nearly ten o'clock!"

"I was visiting a friend." Luke shrugged.

"This late? And where is your backpack?" His father muted the TV so they could talk.

"I uh...left it at my friends house." Luke mumbled. "I'll get it tomorrow before school though, don't worry."

"What friend is this? Michael is away on vacation this week and Calum has soccer tournaments." His mom narrowed her eyes.

"Well...he goes to my school..." Luke started.

"No one new has moved into this neighborhood." His dad said.

"Lucas...they're not poor, right?" His mom asked in concern.

Luke glared. "They're middle class and happy! I can make friends with whoever I want, and he makes me very happy and he helps me with school, so who cares if they have money or not! Wealth does not reflect one's character!"

"We care! How could you be so selfish?" His dad snapped. "We are constantly have to keep up our image in this place or people will step on us and our good name! You cannot bring us down by associating with that, that...filth! Middle class is only one step up from poor, Lucas."

"And rich is only one step up from middle class!" Luke flared. "How can you call me selfish, when you won't even meet them before judging them?"

"Honey, we aren't judging them." Mrs. Hemmings said softly. "We just do not interact with families of...low income."

"Then I suppose I should inform you that I've invited them over for dinner on Friday." Luke said simply. "And tomorrow, I am going to spend the whole day with their son. So, kindly, get your heads out of your ass's for Friday and please, be on your best behavior." He gave them a smile, before running up to his room.

He laid down in his four poster bed and decided to give Ashton a raise.

-

Ashton was up late into the night as he worked on Luke's homework, as well as his own.

Plus his paper for that scholarship. The deadline was a few weeks from now. He couldn't slack off anymore, and he realized how serious this actually was. If he started to slip, he and Luke could both end up expelled, and he would never get that scholarship then.

He rubbed his eyes and looked at the clock. It was five in the morning. He sighed and decided that since he had the work that was due for tomorrow done, he would be done as well.

He climbed into his bed, too tired to change out of his clothes, and fell asleep.

-

Ashton was barely awake the next morning at school. He was putting away his books into his locker when Luke bounded up to him.

"Hey princess, you pumped for our date today?" Luke smiled.

"I'm cheering on the inside." Ashton said dryly. He pulled out his folder and handed Luke his work. "Here, it's all done. You might wanna erase it and write it back in with your handwriting, so the teacher doesn't notice."

Luke was stunned as he looked it all over. "Ashton...did you really do all of this last night? Didn't you get any of your own work done?"

Ashton shrugged and shut his locker. "I have a study hall, I can just finish my own work then."

Luke frowned. He took Ashton's books from the smaller boy and held his hand. "Let me carry these please." Ashton was too tired to argue, and was secretly thankful Luke was carrying the heavy books for him. He drew the line at hand holding though, and shook Luke's hand off of his own.

Luke set them down on Ashton's desk in their first hour. "How much do you think I should pay you for all this?" He asked as Ashton sat down,

Ashton shrugged and held back a yawn. "You can pay me back by cancelling the 'date'."

"No can do. But here." Luke pulled out some money from his pocket and shoved it into Ashton's. Ashton gasped as Luke's hand entered his front pocket. "Luke! Jesus, we're in a classroom! You could have just handed it to me!"

"That would have been suspicious." Luke winked. The bell rang and he sighed. "Guess I gotta go, but meet me at my car after school."

"Whatever." Ashton huffed and Luke left.

Class started and Ashton pulled out the money Luke had given him to count it.

-

Ashton deliberately sought out Luke after school that day.

When he spotted the blonde leaning against his bright red Ferrari, he stormed up to him.

He shoved the money into Luke's face before Luke could say a hello. "Two hundred fucking dollars?! What are you, insane?? I can't accept this! It's way too much! And I'm not broke, okay? I have my own allowance that I earn, so you don't have to pay me twice for doing your work, I may not be rich like you but I'm not poor. I don't need your pity money!"

Luke raised his eyebrows as Ashton ranted. He placed his arms on the smaller boy's shoulders, and let them slide down Ashton's arms, to his elbows. He pulled Ashton closer to him.

Ashton glared up at Luke as Luke gently raised his hand to push back a stray curl, tucking it behind Ashton's ear. "Is my princess calm now?" He asked.

Actually, Ashton was too angry and breathless to reply, but Luke took it as a yes.

"Good. Now get in the car and I'll explain." Luke smiled.

Furious, Ashton stormed over to the passengers side and got in, slamming the door shut behind him.

Luke picked up the fallen dollar bills. He tucked them into his pocket, and was about to get in the car, when someone shouted his name.

Ashton glared harder as Varia came out of the school building.

"Luke! There you are! I didn't see you at lunch." She pouted as she came up to him. Her heels clicked on the pavement, and her short skirt swished so high up her thighs that Ashton could catch a glimpse of her hot pink lace underwear. He gagged.

"I was eating outside with the guys." Luke kissed her cheek. "You look beautiful today, by the way, I am very sorry I missed you."

She giggled and bit her glossed lip. "It's okay, you can make it up to me tonight." She twirled her hair around her finger and winked.

"Sorry Var, I'm busy tonight." Luke apologized. He put his hands on Varia's waist and pulled her in closer. "Saturday though, I'll take you to the movies. What's that one movie everyone wants to see? 50 shades of grey?" (i have not read this or seen it, nor do I plan to. but i feel like this movie fits varia's character. plz dont associate me with that movie tho)

"Okay, but what about Friday? Why can't you take me out then? And why are you busy today?" She asked.

Luke jerked his head to his car. "I'm with him today, and tomorrow his family is coming over for dinner."

Varia gasped. "But Lukey! He's middle class! And you know the saying, 'middle class is only one step up from p-"

"Oh shut up." Luke snapped. He let go of her and stepped back. "You're just like my parents. He's a sweet guy and I really appreciate him. Now please excuse us." He got into the car and started it.

Varia glared at Ashton and flipped him off, before stomping over to her car.

"What did she say?" Ashton asked, since he couldn't hear the conversation from inside the car.

"Nothing important." Luke gave him a smile. He drove out of the parking lot, but took a different road, instead of the normal one to go to Ashton's house.

"Where are we going?" Ashton sighed, crossing his arms.

"To our date."