Chapter 10

Luke kept glancing at Ashton as he drove to their date. "You okay?"

"Absolutely fucking stellar." Ashton replied, resting his chin in his hand as he looked out the window.

"I'm going to reduce your pay a dollar every time you sass me." Luke frowned.

"Oh no, now whatever will I do with only one hundred and ninety nine dollars?!" Ashton rolled his eyes. "I told you, I don't need your pity money!"

"Alright alright, I got the jist of it." Luke said. "I'm sorry if I've offended you, but if you're not going to take the money for your work, what will you take?"

Ashton shrugged.

"C'mon, there's gotta something you want..." Luke winked at him. "You know, something I could provide."

"Not interested." Ashton glared. "Let's just get this outing over with."

"Aw, you won't even acknowledge it's a date?" Luke pouted.

Ashton gave him a look what made Luke apologize and focus on the road. "Fine, fine. it's not a date. It's a friendly gathering amongst bros, with no homo intended."

"Thank you." Ashton rolled his eyes.

They arrived at their destination, and Luke excitedly got out. He ran over to Ashton's side and opened the door. "We have arrived, my princess."

"Call me that again, and I will bury you alive to death." He glowered at Luke as he climbed out.

"This is why chivalry is dead." Luke shut the door.

Ashton looked around. "A park? Really?"

"What's wrong with the park? It's beautiful here at night. Look at the lake!" Luke exclaimed. He ran to the back of his car. "I packed us a lunch, even though we ate at school, but you know." He pulled out a cooler. "Where do you wanna sit?"

"I don't care, you pick." Ashton mumbled.

"Okay...hmm...what about under that tree? We can eat in the shade." Luke said excitedly. He ran towards it and Ashton sighed but followed.

Luke rolled out a blanket and they sat down on it.

"Alright, I'm ready to go home now." Ashton said.

Luke pouted. "Why do you hate me? Give me a chance!"

Ashton sighed heavily and laid down. "I don't mind doing your work for you, but you don't have to try and be my best friend."

"Ooooohh, I get it." Luke nodded. "You're one of those anti social people. Like the narcissist who believes they don't need friends or anyone in their life."

"What?! No!" Ashton sat up.

"It's okay." Luke shrugged. "I won't take it personally."

"Luke." Ashton ground his teeth.

"No no, it's okay." Luke laid down and put his hands behind his head. "You don't have to go out of your comfort zone for me."

"Shut up!" Ashton hit Luke's chest. "I'm not a narcissist!"

"That's exactly what a narcissist would say."

Ashton wished he could argue on that but it was true. "I'll prove it to you!" He laid down beside Luke and wrapped his arms around Luke's taller body. "Now tell me about your

stupid life, you annoying idiot."

Luke smiled and hugged Ashton close. "Well only if you insist."

It was then Ashton realized he had been tricked. "You did not."

"Oh but I did." Luke laughed. "Reverse psychology baby."

Ashton groaned and buried his face into Luke's side. "I can't believe I fell for that! That's the oldest trick in the book!"

Luke giggled and ruffled Ashton's hair with his hand. "We can take turns if you want, play 20 questions maybe. I agree that we don't have to be best friends, but I don't want you to hate me."

Ashton sighed and pushed Luke off him. "I don't hate you. Not really. You just annoy me sometimes. I don't think I could ever actually hate you."

"That's excellent to hear, because I know I could never hate you." Luke said. "I'll go first. What's your favorite holiday?"

"Christmas." Ashton played with a blade of grass. "What's your favorite color?"

"Purple." Luke responded, watching the clouds drift by over head.

"The color of royalty." Ashton nodded. "Suits you."

Luke snorted. "It does not suit me. I'm not a prince." He winked at Ashton. "But you're still princess."

Ashton ignored that. "You're rich, princes are rich."

Luke's face clouded and he frowned. "Don't associate me with my parent's wealth. I'm not like them."

"What do you mean?" Ashton sat beside him as they leaned against the tree. Luke reached into the basket and pulled out some fruit and water. They snacked on that while Luke spoke.

"They don't mean to be, but they're really stereotypical, not just about themselves, but about everyone. Rich people are stuck up and beautiful, poor people are dirt and need pity, you know, the annoying untrue fables like that. It's just the way they grew up. They don't know anything else. Did you know they wanted me to attend a private school? I talked them out of it luckily. I try not to be like them. So I'm really hoping your family can open up their narrow minded eyes."

"Wait, what do you mean?" Ashton asked in confusion.

"I thought you knew? I invited your family over to my place for dinner tomorrow." Luke said.

"Luke!" Ashton screeched, throwing his water bottle at the blonde. "Are you crazy?! You know my family! They're all a bunch of asylum escapees! They are literally insane! And you're conservative snobby parents are going to meet them?! Do you even think at all?"

"Calm d-"

"My mom lets Lauren buy guns with my college fund money! She keeps dill in her pockets for the sake of a bad pun! Lauren is a dirty minded freak with no boundaries! And Harry is an animal in the form of a little boy! And when your parents see that, they'll send you away to a private school and I won't ever see you again!" Ashton panicked.

"Aw, is someone attached?" Luke grinned.

"No! It's just that, if you leave, who will pay me for a scholarship to college?" Ashton grumbled, crossing his arms.

"Don't worry baby, I won't let them send me away." Luke smiled and wrapped his arms around Ashton.

"No touching!" Ashton screamed. "What have I told you about human contact?"

"Narcissist." Luke coughed.

Ashton glared but let Luke continue to hug him. After all, after tomorrow, Luke's parents would be sending him to a private school, so Ashton secretly cherished this moment.