「 Chapter 14 」

"Where's Bilbo?" Gandalf asked and looked around searchingly. "Where is our hobbit?" He ran into the middle of the group "Where's our hobbit?" he called now.
The dwarves hastily looked behind them or looked at each other perplexed. Ilèyn found herself worrying about the Hobbit. She quickly pushed it aside and took a few steps away. She felt that Fili's gaze rested on her, but she did not turn around. She did not want to take part in this discussion. And she didn't know where Bilbo had gone to anyway, nor did she care.
She did.
No, definitly not.
"Curse that halfling! Now he's lost?" someone ranted behind her back.
"I thought he was with Dori!" said another.
"Don't blame me!" came the indignant answer.
"Where did you last see him?" Gandalf asked quickly.
"I think I saw him slip away when they first collared us." someone answered.
"And what happened, exacty? Tell me!" exclaimed Gandalf indignantly.
"I'll tell you what happened!" Oakenshield now said, "Master Baggins saw his chance and he took it!"
Ilèyn turned back to the group, who listened sadly to their leader.
"He has thought of nothing but his soft bed and his warm hearth since first he stepped out of his door." Thorin continued. "We will not be seeing our Hobbit again."
Ilèyn looked around. Disappointment or worry? What was it that was dominating here right now?
"He is long gone." the dwarf leader ended.
Filis and Ilèyn's eyes met. The blond dwarf looked at her dejectedly, whereupon the dwarf quickly lowered her gaze, put her arms on her hips and let out a low sigh.
"No." came it from above, "He isn't." Immediately everyone had raised their heads and looked directly into the self-confident face of the hobbit. He had to smile and stepped a little closer, patting the old dwarf with the white beard on the shoulder.
"Bilbo Baggins." said Gandalf with a clear relief in his voice "I have never been so glad to see anyone in my life." The wizard smiled at the hobbit.
"Bilbo!" Fili's brother said next to him "We had given you up."
"How on earth did you get past the orcs?" added Fili, looking at the halfling with a mixture of joy and amazement.
"How, indeed." Dwalin growled suspiciously and looked around the group. Fili's gaze wandered slowly to the wizard, who stepped closer.
"Well, what does it matter? He's back." Gandalf tried to sound confident.
"It matters!" Fili's uncle said before the wizard could continue. "I want to know." Thorin took a few steps towards Bilbo. "Why did you come back?"
Bilbo held Thorin Oakenshield's serious look, then said:
"Look, I know you doubt me. I know you always have. And you're right, I often think of Bag-End. I miss my books. And my armchair and my garden. See, that's where I belong. That's home." Bilbo let his gaze wander briefly over those present. "And that's why I came back. Because you don't have one. A home. It was taken from you." Fili suddenly noticed that Ilèyn had approached the group and was now standing right next to him. She listened carefully.
"But I will help you take it back if I can." the hobbit ended.

The dwarfs were silent. Bilbo stood in front of them with both hands in his pockets and let his words reach the dwarfs.
Fili and his brother exchanged a depressed look. He unconsciously looked at Ilèyn on his right.
As he looked at her like that, he noticed something about her that he hadn't seen before. A little smile. A warm, wonderful, and, as Fili considered it, a wonderful smile. The dwarf smiled at the halfling in response to his words to the company.
Gleaming white teeth appeared between her narrow, pale lips and her eyes had that look of satisfaction that Fili had previously lacked in her.
This moment, in which the dwarf had turned to her, seemed so long, but in reality it was so short. Her smile disappeared immediately, the warmth from her blue eyes gave way again to the usual frosty robustness when she noticed what she had just shown on her face. Then Kili poked his brother in the side with his elbow, whereupon he winced and quickly lowered his gaze.
At that moment there was loud yowling and howling from the slope in front of them. It came closer and Gandalf and Thorin exchanged a hasty look.
"Out of the frying pan..." muttered the dwarf leader.
"And into the fire." finished the wizard "Run! Run!" he called and ran deeper into the wood.