「 Chapter 43 」

"Bilbo Baggins! Ilèyn!" said Gandalf, surprised and more than happy. Bilbo grinned at him and Ilèyn nodded politely.
"We have little time, Gandalf." she said quickly.
"We need to speak to Thranduil." added Bilbo urgently.
Gandalf and Bard led Ilèyn and Bilbo to the largest tent in the square and accompanied them inside. Many candles were lit in the tent and bathed its interior in a warm, pale light. The two cautiously approached the Elf King, who was waiting in front of them. Immediately his gaze fell on Bilbo and Thranduil narrowed his eyes.
"If I am not mistaken," said the King coolly and went to a large chair in front of a wooden table, "this is the halfling who stole the keys to my dungeons from under the nose of my guards."
Ilèyn opened her mouth in amusement and looked at Bilbo appreciatively. The eyes of Thranduil, Bard and Gandalf also rested on him and the hobbit twisted his mouth, caught. He rocked back and forth on tiptoe.
"Yes..." mumbled between pressed lips "Sorry about that."
Ilèyn, who still had her mouth open, had to refrain from snorting.
"And you..." came from Thranduil and the archer immediately felt the piercing gaze of the King on her. "I was hoping you would have fallen off Bard's horse." Thranduil made no move as he eyed Ilèyn.
"I'm also happy to see you again, uncle." said Ilèyn with an exaggerated false grin.
"Uncle?" asked Bilbo indecisively and looked from Thranduil to Ilèyn and then to Gandalf. The wizard looked just as surprised, but said nothing. Thranduil rolled his eyes.
"We're not here to sort out our family's affairs." said Ilèyn, turning to the Elf King, then nodded to Bilbo. He still looked a little undecided, then cleared his throat briefly and stepped forward.
"We came..." Bilbo went to the table and put something wrapped in a cloth on it. "To give you this."
Bilbo turned back the cloth and the Arkenstone emerged. The great jewel lay on the table in front of Thranduil, Bard and Gandalf, who immediately stepped closer, Thranduil rose and looked at the jewel in fascination.
"The Heart of the Mountain." he said softly, without averting his eyes "The King's Jewel..."
"And worth a King's ransom." added Bard "How is this yours to give?" The archer looked at Ilèyn and Bilbo.
"I took it as my 14th share of the treasure." Bilbo said confidently, looking up at Bard. Gandalf mumbled contentedly.
"Why would you do this?" asked Bard "You owe us no loyalty."
"We're not doing it for you." said Ilèyn, looking from her uncle to Bard and back again.
"I know that dwarves can be obstinate." said Bilbo, "And pigheaded and... difficult. They're suspicious and secretive. With the worst manners you can possibly imagine. But they are also brave. And kind." Bilbo was still looking up at the three of them.
"And loyal to a fault." added Ilèyn sadly and looked at the ground.
"We've grown very fond of them and we would save them if we could." Bilbo continued. "Now, Thorin values this stone above all else. In exchange for its return, I believe, he will give you what you are owed."
"There will be no need for war." said Ilèyn urgently, looking hopefully at Bard and Thranduil. They exchanged a thoughtful look.

"We'll keep the stone with us." said Bard after a while. Thranduil took his seat again.
"Your request is honorable." he said "I hope for your dwarf friends that you are right in your assumption."
With these words and a small wave from Thranduil, guards appeared and escorted Ilèyn, Bilbo and Gandalf out of the tent. Once outside, the three went back to the market square.
"Rest up tonight, you must leave on the morrow." said Gandalf, whereupon Ilèyn and Bilbo looked up at him, confused.
"What?" asked Bilbo.
"Get as far away from here as possible." said Gandalf.
"We're not leaving." said Ilèyn the thoughts of herself and Bilbo.
"Besides, you picked me as the 14th man, I'm not leaving the company." added Bilbo.
"There is no Company." Gandalf contradicted "Not anymore. Imagine what Thorin will do when he finds out what you've done."
Bilbo stopped, Ilèyn beside him.
"I'm not afraid of Thorin." he said emphatically.
"Well, you should be." Gandalf turned around. The warning tone in his voice sent a shiver down Ilèyn's spine.
"Don't underestimate the evil of gold." Gandalf continued, "Gold over which a serpent has long brooded. Dragon-sickness seeps into the hearts of all who come near this Mountain."
Bilbo and Ilèyn remained silent. Both saw Gandalf give a small smile.
"Almost all." he added.
Bilbo smiled, Ilèyn said nothing.
"You there!" called Gandalf suddenly. He motioned Alfrid over to him.
"Find those two a bed." he instructed the man, "And fill their belly with hot food. They're earned it."
Alfrid shuffled up to them in annoyance. He nodded to the two of them and motioned them to go ahead of him.
"Move it!" he said.
Ilèyn rolled her eyes. Alfrid led Bilbo and her to one of the makeshift camps for the night with quick-set beds and thin blankets and mattresses.