「 Chapter 42 」

The night had fallen and the plains between Erebor and Dale had been bathed in a moonlit silence. After Ilèyn had talked for a long time with the others about what had happened in Lake Town and had Fili explained in detail how she had managed to escape safely from the city, Thorin had joined them. He still ignored Ilèyn or welcomed her. He was obsessed with the idea that he might actually be able to defend the mountain against Thranduil's army.
"You've been idle long enough." announced the dwarf King and looked around in the group "Arm yourselves."
Thorin's voice made Ilèyn feel uncomfortable. The determination the dwarf displayed was far from reassuring.
The dwarves made their way to the armory. Ilèyn followed them through the great halls and endless corridors. She had never seen a kingdom like this before. A kingdom carved into a mountain and a treasure within it so big that Ilèyn's imagination was insufficient to grasp these masses of gold.
Ilèyn realized that her initial interest in a piece of the gold had long gone. The only things that predominated now were fear, worry and uncertainty. She caught up with Fili, who was walking in front of her with Thorin and Kili, and pulled his sleeve to slow him down a bit.
"You go to the armory, am I right?" she whispered fearfully "Fili, you have to get Thorin off this madness."
The two now walked at the end of the group.
"Thorin is determined to defend his property and kingdom, he will not listen to me." hissed Fili.
"You have to try, please!" The urgency in Ilèyn's voice was hard to ignore.
Fili was about to answer something when the group stopped in front of them and Thorin opened the doors to the armory. Fili looked at Ilèyn apologetically and both followed the rest into the large room, which was equipped with swords, shields and the royal armor. Thorin watched his men equip themselves with weapons and look for armor in their size. Ilèyn stood in a corner, which was not too much illuminated by the torchlight, and watched the whole thing with growing restlessness. She felt sick when she saw Thorin attach importance to Fili and Kili wearing armor that lived up to their status as direct royal bloodline. Then the dwarf leader moved away to look for his own armor himself.
Fili and Kili exchanged a look before Kili went to the sword racks and examined some swords after Fili had thrown him a shield.
Dwalin and Bofur came walking past Ilèyn, both already fully equipped and armed. Ilèyn crossed her arms and leaned against the wall, trying to suppress her anger and fear. After a few more minutes of standing there and watching everything, she couldn't take it any longer.

"Fili..." she said desperately and stepped up to the blonde, who stopped and looked at her. Ilèyn's eyes fell on the heavy armor and the broad sword that Fili had taken.
"I don't like that..." she uttered quietly and horrified "This is a fight that you cannot win, you have to prevent it! Please, I don't want to lose you!" she said pleadingly and her voice trembled.
Fili looked at her depressed, he looked powerless and exhausted.
"It is my duty to stand by the side of my uncle and my kin..." he said softly, unable to meet her gaze.
When Ilèyn heard these words from his mouth, she didn't know for a moment what to say.
"My uncle," she said urgently, "Will kill you if you don't give him what he demands. The Elves have no interest in the life of one or thirteen dwarfs and I promise you when it comes to the heirlooms of his people, Thranduil has no mercy. " Ilèyn could no longer hide her anger at the stubbornness of the dwarfs, her voice took on a warning tone.
"You don't have to do this." She continued and took Fili's face in both hands so that he had to look her in the eye again. "Please..." she whispered.
"Back to the gate, all of you!" it echoed through a corridor to them.
"Forgive me..." whispered Fili, as he turned away from her and marched with the others after Thorin back to the stone wall. Ilèyn looked after them, her mouth slightly open in horror and shock. A few moments later she hurried after them, unsure what to do next.
Should she go? Get herself to safety?
She could never leave Fili here, especially not going into the field against her uncle.
Should she dare to talk to her uncle about it?
She displeased the thought of pleading and pleading for the life of this company in front of Thranduil. The Elf King would love nothing more than to see her on her knees, at his mercy.
Should she keep trying to convince Fili to go with her? To flee?
She knew that was not in his nature, his pride did not allow him to escape and leave his own kin behind. Besides, he would never let his brother and the others go into battle alone.
These thoughts accompanied Ilèyn until they had reached the front entrance hall of the Erebor again, in which there was still quite a chaos, rocks lying around, the huge golden bell, which was also there.
Thorin ordered Bofur to take the first night watch and the others to find a place to sleep. They did as they were told and spread a little, but did not go too far from the gate, constantly on alert.
Bofur climbed the stairs and took up his post at the top of the wall, his eyes turned towards Dale. Oin, Ori and Bombur fell asleep right next to each other, the others just dozed off a little.
Ilèyn felt that Fili's gaze was fixed on her, but she was too busy desperately trying to find a way to sort out this whole situation she had gotten into. She heard Fili and Kili move away from the gate and disappear behind the stone walls.