「 Chapter 46 」

Her head throbbed and she felt her temple. Her eyes became a little clearer again and she saw the blood on her hand.
Anger rose in her and she found her balance again.
"Come here, you filthy creature!" she cried angrily. The orc across from her came charging towards her. Ilèyn ducked and struck the orc's legs with both daggers. This went on his knees in front of her, whereupon Ilèyn gleefully slit open the neck of the creature. Then she took a few steps back to find her bow she had just dropped.
She found the weapon on the floor and quickly reached for it. She put her daggers back and drew the next arrow.
Finally Ilèyn was able to catch up with the dwarfs, who had slowly become more and more weak. She shot orcs down from dwarfs lying on the ground, threw another one into the flesh of an orc that had appeared on her right, only to pull back its barbs with all her might.
"Fall back!" she heard Dain yelling across the battlefield, "Fall back! To the Mountain!"
The dwarven army tried to rally and reposition itself in front of the gate of Erebor. Ilèyn saw how many soldiers Dain had already lost. She ran with the dwarves to Erebor, the orcs close behind them, when another menacing sound of horns rang from Ravenhill across the plains. The orcs in the front rows stopped as if waiting for something. The dwarves had already closed their own ranks and stood facing the dark army, shields and spears raised, in a semicircle in front of the Mountain. Ilèyn stood on the far right, breathing heavily, looking face to face with the enemy.
She saw the overwhelming force of the orcs. The dwarves had a slim chance of even surviving this fight. Whether Thranduil and the Elves, Bard and the Men, Gandalf and Bilbo and also Sigrid, Tilda and Bain would survive the fighting in the city, Ilèyn did not know. She didn't really have time to think about what, if they didn't, either.
More big war beasts broke through the front ranks of the orcs, more and more gathering in front of Dain's army. But they waited and did not move towards them.
When the last of the beasts had come to a halt in front of the orc army, the next blow came.
So that's how it should end.
Slain in a fight that was by no means hers.
This thought only made Ilèyn's desperation worse.

A horn pierced her ear with its booming sound.
Was that Azog's horn?
No.
That came straight from the Mountain.
Immediately, Ilèyn spun around and looked up the wall. She recognized Bombur as he stood at the top and blew the horn of Durin, which even slowed the army of the orcs.
The sound faded away on the plains and a few moments later the stone wall broke down with a huge, deep bell sound, torn by a huge golden bell. Ilèyn was startled by the noise it caused, the large boulders landed just behind the army of dwarves and gave way into the Mountain.
Ilèyn heard roars approaching from the mountain and hurried between the rows of dwarves to better see the entrance of the mountain.
There were Fili, Kili, Thorin and all the others who came running out of the mountain, armed and ready to fight. Dain's soldiers gave way for the Company and let them take the lead.
"To the king!" roared Dain "To the King!"
The dwarf army roared in agreement and with Thorin at their head they gathered all their last strength and stormed into battle.
Ilèyn ran, both daggers drawn, lined up next to the soldiers in the front row and saw getting closer and closer to the orcs. The two armies collided. Ilèyn was working her way through the first orcs when she saw Bifur, Bofur and Bombur ahead, fighting side by side. The archer was on the way to them when she suddenly heard a panicked scream.
"Bofur!" shouted Nori, who parried a blow from a much larger orc with his ax and was almost knocked down by this. Bofur reacted immediately, but Ilèyn was faster. She grabbed a small ax that was lying in front of her and threw it with full force over to Nori. The ax got stuck in the head of the orc who threatened the dwarf and the creature fell to the ground.
"Ilèyn!" shouted Bofur and struck his hammer against the chest of an orc who was walking towards him. "There you are!"
"Exactly!" replied Ilèyn as she shortened two orcs by one head.
One of the war beasts approached the two of them, which had already been hit by several spears and was being guided by someone who was sitting on a small saddle on the beast's neck. The creature's legs were replaced by metal clubs and the forearms were made of morning stars.
Ilèyn lunged as the beast struck her and was only narrowly missed. Groaning, she propped herself up again to move away from this creature. Orcs continued to come towards her, which she knocked down with skilful dagger blows. An orc caught her thigh with his ax and Ilèyn felt the blood oozing through her pants. She looked down briefly.
"Not more than a scratch." she muttered to herself and resolutely fought on.