「 Chapter 32 」

The company was not led into the master's large house, but into an adjoining house.
"There will be a celebration." the captain of the city guard announced "We have to make sure that you are dressed according to the presence of our Sire."
"In rags and tatters?" Ilèyn asked in a lowered voice to Fili.
He just grinned mischievously at her and followed the people on.
The sun had set and the night had begun, although it was not particularly late. But in the north the days were short.
The doors of the house opened to reveal a large tailor's shop. Mainly armor and costumes, harnesses and cloaks for the guard.
The captain called the tailors together and gave them the task of finding something for each of the dwarfs that would be acceptable and at the same time useful for the undertaking.
The tailors scurried across the wooden floor, looking for clothes, gathering up fabrics and trying to get something done in the short space of time. They shortened coats that were sewn for soldiers, provided them with additional seams in order to adapt them to the bodies of the dwarfs.
From warriors they had now become tailors' mannequins, which were now measured, tried and plucked.
Dwalin and Dori seemed very unhappy that they were told to hold still while the linen and throws were tried on. Bilbo and Ori, however, were happy to finally be given new and, above all, suitable clothing.
"Who is the little one here?" the captain asked suddenly and came up to Ilèyn. "She doesn't look like a dwarf."
Ilèyn glared at him.
"I also belong to this company." she said firmly.
The captain laughed.
"As you think." he snorted, then waved to one of the tailors, "Give her one of the girls' dresses that are lying around here."
"Aye!" it came from a man who got lost in the clothing department.
"Save yourself the trouble." Ilèyn poisoned and stabbed the captain with an evil eye. "Forget that I will wear something from here."
Ilèyn stepped closer to the captain.
"And certainly not," she hissed, her hand on the knife on her belt, "a dress."
The captain looked down at her, unsure of what to answer. Her threatening voice made him take a few steps backwards. After a moment's hesitation, he waved the tailor back and Ilèyn was spared the general change of clothes.

Never before had the dwarfs moved and upgraded so quickly as they were on this evening.
Thorin had been assured that they would receive armor and weapons when they left in the morning. That had calmed the dwarf leader down for the time being.
Ilèyn was anything but calm. The thought of going to some kind of celebration stressed her a bit and she stepped nervously from one foot to the other while the guard waited with the dwarfs in front of the town hall, waited for them to be let in by the Master. Some of the company were already in a good mood and definitely didn't want to miss a mug of cold beer or a good wine.
At that moment the big heavy wooden doors to the town hall were opened and the dingy figure in black stood before them, accompanied by two soldiers.
"Now come in to us." he said more annoyed than solemnly, but that didn't bother the dwarfs. They felt almost at their destination and enjoyed being able to forget the seriousness of the world for one last evening.
The guard led the group up the stairs and through long corridors. The town hall stretched further than Ilèyn had only assumed, a servant kept scurrying past them, possibly in a hurry because his master wanted the next glass of wine.
One could already hear the music that was being played in the room above them and some of the dwarfs began to laugh wildly. The guard stopped in the corridor.
"If you wish to sleep," the captain said, "the Master of Lake Town has made some of the rooms available to you." He pointed down the hallway, from which several small doors led off into probably even smaller chambers.
Better than nothing to withdraw from the hustle and bustle and to be alone, Ilèyn thought.
The first door was thrown open and Ilèyn was right in her guess. The room was just big enough to fit a small bed or two and a clothes rack. The room was lit only by the lantern, which hung right next to the door and the air was musty.
The guards began to lead the dwarves to the rooms at random.
Bifur and Gloin were left standing by the already open door.
"Wait here until you are called, the final preparations are still being made."
The others were also taken to the rest of the rooms.