「 Chapter 15 」

With the overwhelming feeling of hopelessness that weighed on her thoughts, Ilèyn looked carefully into the yawning abyss in front of her. She didn't want to imagine how far it was going. When she averted her gaze, a small, burning projectile suddenly flew down and straight towards the wargs. The small round fireball immediately struck flames, which spread at an unnaturally rapid pace. The wargs backed away, startled, and growled at the flames.
"Fili! Ilèyn!"
Immediately, Ilèyn's gaze shot up. Gandalf had torn off some of the pine cones and set them ablaze. Before the dwarf could think about how exactly he had managed it, two of the burning cones came down to her and Fili.
Thanks to the bow gloves the dwarf wore, the heat of the flame did not yet hurt her hands. She quickly aimed at the pack of warg below her and threw the burning projectile down with all her might. It hit a warg on the head and set its fur on fire. Whimpering, the creature fled.
Gandalf kept supplying the troops with the burning cones until every dwarf was busy bombing the enemy.
In fact, the strategy seemed to work and orcs and wargs retreated a little into the forest. Some of the four-legged creatures even fled completely from Ilèyn's field of vision.
Azog let out an angry scream that echoed throughout the valley below. The dwarfs on the branches below Ilèyn began to burst into joyous cheers. They raised their fists to the sky and patted each other on the shoulders.
However, a threatening, suspicious crack immediately silenced the dwarves' cries of joy. Happiness turned into panic and fear as the last tree on the cliff began to lean more and more over the abyss, until finally its roots give way and the tree dashed into parallel.
One of the dwarfs slid off its branch, reached the other's leg, and clung to it, screaming for help. Ilèyn crawled down from her branch on her stomach, down to the solid tree trunk. Blood dripped onto the bark from a small abrasion on her cheek. She heard Gandalf behind her trying hard to hold on to the treetop.
Next to Ilèyn, Kili groaned from the exertion as he pulled himself up on a branch.
"Mr. Gandalf!" shouted the dwarf, at whose foot the youngest hung. The strength ran out of his arms and he threatened to fall. The wizard immediately held out his staff, Dori was just able to grab it and hold it tight.

Ilèyn catched herself looking around in panic at Fili and relaxing when she saw him, also clinging between branches. She looked now at the pale orc, who was once again surveying the hopeless situation of the dwarves with satisfaction.
Suddenly the leader of the company, Thorin Oakenshield, rose next to the dwarf. With a determined look he walked along the tree trunk, getting faster and faster, until finally he ran straight towards the pale orc. His companions watched speechless as their king faced his terrible adversary. Thorin had reached the end of the trunk and was approaching Azog through a lane of flames, weapon and shield raised.
Ilèyn watched with horror as the evil grin on the orc's face grew wider and wider. As if waiting for the right moment.
And that's exactly what he did.
With a jerk the orc leader gave his mount to understand that the moment had come. The white warg made a tremendous leap and easily reached the dwarf leader. The latter took out his sword, but the warg and rider were too heavy. They brutally knocked Oakenshield to the ground. The dwarf was just getting up again when the enemy started to jump. Azog struck his ax against Thorin's chest with all his might, knocking him to the ground again. Thorin groaned painfully.
Now a figure rose before Ilèyn's eyes, completely unsteady on its legs. Bilbo Baggins.
The hobbit cautiously put one foot in front of the other when another cry of pain sounded from Thorin's direction. Ilèyn crept slowly after Bilbo and peered past him. Azog looked over at them, smiling confident of victory, while his warg had the dwarf king in its mouth and buried its teeth deep in Oakenschild's body.
Why did all that happen here? Who Was Azog? What was his assignment?
So many questions were buzzing around Ilèyn in her head that she continued to watch how Oakenshield wounded the mouth of the warge with his sword, which then threw him in a high arc on the stony ground. There he was now, badly wounded and barely moving.
Azog turned to one of his followers and gave him an order that Ilèyn could not understand from a distance.
The second orc swung from the back of his warge and trudged slowly towards Oakenshield. Ilèyn noticed how Fili and Kili became more and more angry and tried with all their might to fight their way up onto the tree trunk, but they did not succeed because with every attempt the branches under them almost broke away. Ilèyn began cautiously to crawl forward in Filis' direction, hardly taking her gaze away from Thorin.
The orc had now reached him and took up position next to him, the drawn sword placed on Oakenschild's neck. Ilèyn crawled on frantically.