Chapter 9 ~ Ron's Last Words and Departure

The next few weeks were slow. The four of us moved around from different places so that no one found us. If Hermione hadn't put up those enchantments, we wouldn't even be walking another five hundred miles. Well, it wasn't that many miles, but it sure felt like it.

As we were walking down a meadow, Harry and Hermione were walking ahead of Ron and I. Hermione gave Harry some water.

"Thanks," Harry said to her, taking the water from her.

As Hermione was staring at him, Ron was glaring at the two of them.

"You want some water, Ron?" I carefully asked him, taking out a bottle.

He ignored me, still glaring at the two. It was starting to scare me, to be honest. But I shook the thought away and continued walking. Ron's arm was still injured, so we weren't able to Apparate just yet.

We were approaching a farm up ahead when I looked up at the sky. I saw familiar dark clouds. No, not dark clouds. They were--

"Death Eaters! Up in the sky!" I announced it to the others.

They looked up at the sky and took off running. We took shelter in the barn and sat down, making sure we weren't visible from the sky.

"That was close," Hermione said, panting.

I nodded my head in agreement and looked over at Ron. "You okay?"

He nodded. "I'm fine."

"We just have to be careful from now on," Harry told us.

After the Death Eaters were no longer in sight, we made our way over to a trailer park. No one came outside as we passed through, which was a good thing.

Our last stop for the day was under a bridge. Hermione and I set up the tent and then she helped Ron with his arm. Harry was closer to the bridge, throwing rocks in the water. I went up to him and began throwing rocks with him.

"Why does it feel like we haven't accomplished anything in the past few weeks?" he asked me, not taking his eyes off the water.

"Because we haven't accomplished anything in the past few weeks," I replied. "We're doing the best we can, you know."

"Yeah, I know," he said. "I didn't think we would take this long to destroy a Horcrux, though."

"Destroy it? We don't even know how to destroy it," I pointed out.

He huffed a sigh in disappointment. "Well, maybe we'll figure out how to destroy it soon."

"I'm pretty sure you mean Hermione will figure out how to destroy it soon."

Harry laughed. "That's exactly what I mean, Max."

"I'm glad we still understand each other, dear brother," I said to him, which made him laugh even harder. "But I don't think you understand that you really need a haircut."

Harry shaking his head, chuckling at me. "Thank Merlin you're looking out for me."

*******

The next day, the four of us decided to go back to somewhere in the woods. Harry and I placed the tent where we wanted it while Hermione did the enchantments and Ron sat against a tree, watching us.

After we were done, we all headed inside the tent, minus Harry. Ron was listening to the radio, Hermione was reading the book Dumbledore gave her, Harry was standing guard outside, and I was reading another book called The Notebook. Aunt Petunia had it, along with other books that she had left at the house. So I just took them. It wasn't like she was going to go back for them.