Part 10: Stressing Out

At least dinner wasn't as awkward this time. Lilith thought as she drank the hot chocolate Sarah brought out for her. "Dinner was lovely Emily" Grandpa said.

"Mira does make a perfect cassoulet."

"Sarah" Lilith says but is ignored.

"Who's Mira?" Aunt Lore asks.

"Our cook." Grams responds already knowing who she's asking about before looking at her oldest granddaughter. "I'll take note."

"I thought the cook was Heidi."

"Oh no, we let Heidi go months ago. She had a problem closing things . . . the door. the refrigerator . . ." Grandma says before looking to the side pursing her lips.

"The liquor bottle." Grandpa chimes in and Aunt Lore snorts while Rory smiles and Lilith rolls her eyes remembering when she found Heidi drinking out of a bottle in the cellar, the same bottle of wine she had tried to serve to Richard and Emily only a few minutes latter not realizing Lilith had seen her.

"Then it was Trina, then Sophia."

"I liked Sophia."

"You did not." Grandma tells him with a smile.

"I didn't?"

"Sophia was the one that sung even though she was completely tone-deaf Grandpa."

"That's right, terrible woman." Grandpa says before turning to Lilith and Rory and giving a dramatic shiver making them smile.

"And after Sophia, we had Anton."

"That's right. Anton was the one that I liked."

"I'm sorry, Dad. How do you mix up Anton and Sophia?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well one is a man, and one is a woman." Aunt Lore says and Lilith grimaces at her response remembering that Anton while physically a man, was actually transgender and cross-dressed as a woman even when working here. Grandma had found it strange at first until she explained that Anton was transgender. Of course she had plenty of questions which she of course also asked Anton about which had led to her actually coming to like Anton quite a bit and becoming one of the longest chefs Grams had kept on staff. If Anton's ex hadn't shown own up here in the middle of that dinner party she'd probably still be working here. Last she heard though Anton had moved to New York and was working at some fancy restaurant after Grams raved about her to their owner.

"And your point being?" Grandpa questions as his voice takes on a cool tone, having like Anton as well despite viewing the transgender lifestyle as unorthodox not realizing Aunt Lore didn't remember Anton.

"That one is a man and one is a woman."

"She doesn't mean anything by it Grandpa. I doubt Aunt Lore actually remembers Anton, I don't even think they ever actually saw each other." Lilith jumps in before the dinner is completely ruined.

"Excuse me?" Aunt Lore says turning to look at Lilith as if she just committed some great offence and Rory sighs from the seat beside her.

"Aunt Lore, Anton was transgender. Anton might have been born a man but she considered herself a woman. Grandma and Grandpa are offended for her that you keep bringing it up." Aunt Lore just stares at Lilith wide-eyed before looking at her parents in disbelief as if unable to comprehend the fact her parents could be ok with it, not knowing that Dad had admitted that he was interested in both sexes though preferred woman before he graduated from Chilton himself as Grandpa had caught him making out with his high school boyfriend Michael Dugray.