Part 16: A New Year and New Changes

Lilith was still on the fence with everything that had occurred in the last couple months. The Gilmore Christmas party had ended in disaster when Richard suffered an Angina attack. The Gilmore woman were all forced to face the possibility of losing him when no one would tell them anything. While everything certainly hadn't been fixed between the four Gilmore women they did manage to put aside their differences for him at least for the moment. That however didn't mean Lilith was letting her guard down for a second. Most of Stars Hollow was aware of the discontentment especially prevalent between the youngest two and it was clear for much of the town that sides were being drawn.

Lorelai and Rory may have lived in Stars Hollow for near fifteen years (they lived at the Gilmore House that first year) but the fact still remained that Lorelai and Rory were often content to make fun of the town events they joined in where all could hear and the truth was that half the time the commentary was not appreciated. Lorelai liked to speak about how her family came from money, how horrible they were and how independent she was but the fact was the majority of the town knew that there was no possible way for her to have purchased the house she did without major financial help which had came in the form of her older brother. They were also all more then well aware of the favors she took especially when she wanted free work done around the house come the annual basket auction in which the town's men had literally taken to drawing straws on who would purposely los-win her basket, up until Jonathon had heard about it from his wife Annabeth and made sure the men were paid for their work.

While Rory may have been the town's darling in another life, one in which Lilith didn't exist, in this one she stood equal with her older cousin amongst the town despite Lilith only recently living there especially considering Lilith didn't simply let her push the blame onto other children when Rory did wrong as not to get into trouble when they were younger, a fact that had made Lilith the favorite of the two cousins amongst their Stars Hollow peers and their parents. Rory's recent stalker and antagonistic behavior had also been caught by a number of people though they hadn't realized it for what is was other than her being strange until all the facts had come to light especially when Miss Patty and Babette managed to corner Lane to find out what was going on.

As it was Lilith might have been born with the Gilmore name but to Stars Hollow she was a Weston and one of only two still remaining. Fran Weston's brother had moved countries and given up the Weston name to save the Riley name after falling in love with an Englishwoman during WW2 who was the last of her family having believed his little sister and her future children would carry on the name, unaware she would never remarry when her husband eventually passed during the Vietnam War. To Stars Hollow Lilith was the lost child returning home. Taylor Doose knew about her plans to stay permanently once she finished school and had recently approved her and Great-Aunt Fran's plans to make the Dragonfly Inn into a home while maintaining most of it's historical integrity with it's wood beams, hardwood floors, crown molding, ornate fireplaces, and wrap-around porch even if slightly more modern to bring it into the new century despite the immense cost to do so had only made him like her that much more. The fact both Jonathon and Annabeth Gilmore had participated in town events along with their daughter (without the snark and genuine want to do so) while even making donations to the little town had only endeared her to him more. Add in the fact that Luke Danes was practically a second father to the girl and became far more pleasant company to be around when she was there what with being wrapped around her pinkie and there you would have near every single one of his diner patrons rallied behind her, though everyone knew his behavior likely stemmed from him and Annabeth having been best friends since they were children and Lilith practically being a blue-eyed curvier version of her at that age.

~~*~~

"Lily! Lane! Look look! Puppies! Lily, Lane they have puppies!" Clara yells after seeing her across the street and she makes her way to her and Dean with Lane smiling beside her.