Part 22: A Mother & Brother's Last Acts

Gilmore House

Emily sat in the courtyard sipping her tea as her friends sat around the table. The newest maid of the estate quietly setting down a fresh pot before quickly leaving.

"Another new one, Emily?" Her friend asks.

"Yes. The last one only made it through one evening. Thoroughly nervous creature."

"What do you do to them?" Another friend questions.

"Oh, the usual. Clean this, cook that. Sacrifice a virgin on your way out." Emily jokes and the women laugh.

"The things you say."

"We could've done with some of that at the ball the other night."

"Why? Was it dull?"

"I felt as if my shoes were going out of style as I sat there."

"What a shame." Emily responds, pleased nothing had occurred in her absence.

"Now it wasn't all dull." Another friend pipes in. "Are we forgetting Truly Bishop?"

"Oh, that's right."

"What? What about Truly Bishop?" Emily questions and learns the latest bits drama occurring between Eugene and Truly Bishop. Her shock hardly contained as she learns of the drama that unfolded in her recent absences, more specifically the Bishops' breakup after Truly was sent a letter from Eugene's 26-year-old mistress in Salisbury who had a two-year-old child with her husband. Better yet Truly had thrown an ice sculpture at Eugene's head after he admitted to the affair and told her of his plans to leave her for his mistress. "I can't believe I missed that." Emily says as her friends question her whereabouts and why she has missed so many events recently. "It's just, uh, Richard." She tells them.

"He hasn't been hanging out Salisbury, has he?"

"No. He's just been swamped at work, night and day, weekends." Emily responds, setting her tea down. "You would think he was the only person who worked at that company. Plus, he hasn't been feeling very well. His back and knees. Very bad knees." She replies and sees how their eyes drift away from her into the doorway. "Oh, Lilith you came. And Rory what a nice surprise."

"Hi Grandma." Lilith says walking out into the courtyard and pressing a kiss to Emily's cheek as Rory awkwardly hovers in the doorway as she makes her own greeting.

"Ladies I'd like you to meet my granddaughters, Lilith and Rory. Lilith is Jonathon's daughter and Rory is Lorelei's. Lilith, sweetheart, I believe you've met Sunny before."

"You were my dad's godmother, right?" The perky blonde beside Emily smiles and plump smooth cheeks are on full display which leaves Lilith thinking only one thing, Botox. Sunny confirms it and welcomes Rory who finally walks forward to join them with an overly fake smile.

"My goodness what pretty girls you are."

"Rory looks just like Lorelai, doesn't she?" A woman across the table speaks.

"The eyes! The Nose!" The other says.

"Speaking of eyes. You Lilith have the most stunning eyes I must have ever seen. Even your father's eyes didn't pop out as much as your own and the sheer number of young ladies I saw throw themselves at him for that alone. My word!" Sunny says.

"Sunny is right. My Lord, your eyes! As if I'm being sucked into the ocean. Absolutely stunning!"

"Walk around, sweetie." Sunny tells Rory.

"Sunny, leave the girl alone." Emily says.

"I just want to see the walk. Lorelai had such a specific walk."