STAG Party Pt. 2

"Are you absolutely sure about this, Denitra?" Vanessa tried to keep her eyes on the road as she drove away from Wesley Cutter International Airport, in the black Neuron that she'd rented. "Of all the colleges here in America, you choose one so close to home."

Denitra bit the inside of her lip, choosing her words with care. "Mama, we've discussed this a thousand times. It's what I want to do. Besides, you said you didn't want me too far from home in case there was an emergency. This way, we're compromising. Steelport is only an hour away from Stilwater." She ran a hand through her hair and looked out the window.

Vanessa bit her lip and sighed. "I know. I know. It's just, after what happened at Stilwater University with Layla -"

"Mama, no." She put her hands over her ears. She knew it was childish, but she did it to keep from crying. Layla's death was still a fresh wound in her heart, even though it had been years since it happened. "Do not bring that up if you want me to come home for any holiday this semester."

Vanessa flinched visibly but heeded her only child's warning. It had taken a year for Denitra to even get out of her room, and another two to convince her to go to another school. Although the Stilwater University Massacre had made national news and got donations that totaled over a million dollars, most of the money went to the families of the students and teachers killed in the gang war. There was barely enough left to repair the damage done to the building itself, much less help hire new teachers who made demands for higher pay. It didn't take long for the school to only offer online classes. It now faced being shut down for good. Denitra had been content with taking her classes online, but she'd been forced to transfer to the nearest college, University at Steelport. Unfortunately, med students were required to attend their classes on campus beyond the second year.

Today, Vanessa was taking Denitra shopping for things to fill her dorm room. "At least you're allowing me to take you shopping. It's been a while since we had time like this together."

Denitra tried not to smile. "Mama..."

Vanessa smiled brightly. "Think about it. This is the first time, ever, that you'll be away from me and your dad. It's like you're moving out."

"I kinda am." She shrugged shyly. "It had to happen at some point."

"I know," Vanessa whined, "But now? This gang issue is getting worse by the day. For instance, a couple of weeks ago a plane crashed here. People were killed by cars that fell out of it."

Denitra looked at her. "Um, and that has what to do with gangs?"

"They were all gang cars. Filled with random things like guns and drugs."

Denitra nodded, checking the time on the car's radio. "Okay, Mama. If you say so."

"What? I'm telling the truth."

"I know, Mama."

"Denitra."

"Yes, ma'am?"

She pouted. "I'm serious. It's probably more dangerous here than back at home."

Denitra scoffed and shook her head. "What's the worst that could happen here?"

 "What's the worst that could happen here?"