Get Used to It

*A Month Later*

Denitra had been really surprised with the dinner. She had no idea he could even boil water, much less cook a full meal. As she finished up the last of her lava cake sundae, she noticed Jamien was staring at her with a soft look in his eyes.

"What?" She licked her spoon clean then set it down.

"There's something I want to give you, Dee." He reached into his back pocket and pulled out a small black rectangular box. "I think it suits you."

"A bracelet?" She looked at the box, eyes sparkling in the candlelight. "When did you pick this out?"

He shrugged. "The day after you left me at Anabelle's. When I saw it, I thought maybe you'd change your mind about everything if I gave it to you. I mean, I'm not saying that I thought I could buy your love or anything. I just..." He stopped and put his head in his hands, took a deep breath then sat up straight. "Seeing you walk away, and really mean it, hurt. I don't like the idea of not having you with me. I don't like the idea of you not loving me. You make me vulnerable, but the only person who could ever use you to hurt me is you. I mean, ah, you turn my brain into pudding when I try to be sincere and deep; everything comes out all wrong and tastes funny."

She laughed. "Tastes funny, J?"

He scowled at her. "Don't laugh at me, woman. I'm trying to pour my heart out to you and shit."

She laughed even harder. "You don't have to pour your heart out. I think I have a good idea what you're trying to say."

His expression immediately changed to one she couldn't read. "I really doubt you do, baby." He pushed the box towards her. "Open it."

She smiled and reached for the box. "Does it have charms on it? Or can I put charms on it?"

"No." He smiled. "It doesn't need anything on it, trust me."

She opened the box and fell silent. Inside the box, nestled in the center of the white velvet cushion, sat a heart-shaped diamond engagement ring.

"What do you think?" He folded his arms on the table and leaned towards her. "Nice, huh?"

She looked down at the ring, up at him, then back again. "Jay, is this - "

"Will you marry me?" He held her free hand, gently rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand. "I don't want to influence your decision, but please say yes."

Her jaw dropped. "You're serious?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"We haven't even known each other for more than a year!"

"Since when does time dictate love?" He touched her cheek. "I love you. Time won't change that, except maybe make it stronger. So, if I know this is what I want, why should I wait? What difference will it make if I asked you now as opposed to a year from now? Tomorrow isn't promised to us; I don't want to die regretting that I didn't have you as my wife. Do you love me?"

"Yes, but - "

"No 'buts'. It's a yes or no question."

She inhaled deeply and closed her eyes. "Yes, I love you."

"If you love me and I love you, then why can't we, mature adults, get married?"

"It's too soon." She thought about it. "Or, maybe it's all of a sudden to me. Of all the things I expected from you, this wasn't on the list."

"So, exceeding your expectations, am I?" He smirked. "Tell you what. How about you take some time and think about all of this, get used to the idea of us being married before we actually do it?"

Where had she heard that before... "Then, I might as well say yes."

He smiled brightly, standing up to lean over the table, pressing his lips to hers. "Now you're catching on."