Chapter 3: Mother's Reminder

Today was a regular day. Wake up in the morning, eat breakfast, nag your brother, walk to school. But today was not the day. Today, fate decided to add gold marks to the mix.

Rani felt confused. As a matter of fact, confused, was not it. More like how, yet why, and is it waterproof. What made this confusing what the expression her aunt had upon seeing the marks. She could not stop looking at it. To her, the marks were like holy grail but to Rani, it looked like someone was doing a long tattoo and forgot to complete it.

If it really was an incomplete mark, will it complete itself or does she need to go through many nightmares for the rest of it? 

First things first, she needed to snap her aunt out of her trance she was in. 

"Yeah, sorry kid. I don't know much about it. Only the fact that the marks are connected with something that you need to accomplish." 

The only mission she's accomplishing was at the tip of her fingers.

"The Millenium thief. You think he's behind this?" 

"Could be." Rani noticed that her aunt was now standing up from her seat on her bed and was going through her room. Lots of 'hmms' and she was sure she heard her said 'I knew I left it in here.' "What are you looking for?"

"Ah. Here it is," her Aunt said climbing down her stairs of drawers. In her hands was a silver box that felt familiar and nostalgic  "Now Rani. You used to be using this before you became a swordswoman. I have a feeling you're gonna need this."

She hands over the box.

Rani felt its cold metal rub off her fingers and opens it. Inside was a deck of cards. Duel Monsters cards. The first card was her own favorite monster, Magician's Valkyria. Her blue and pink outfit gave her memories she didn't know she had. "Your mother had built that deck so you could've been able to follow your dream of being a duelist champion," Lila said, sitting across Rani with only the small circle table separating them. 

"That felt like a long time ago."

Lila knew how much Rani cared for her mother. She would've given the deck to her sooner if she hadn't made that promise. She believes that this was the perfect time for Rani to catch up on her skills as a duelist for she will need them when she discovers her real mission. 

Rani had a nostalgic episode. These were the cards that she used to duel with when she was in America. She remembered how every victory felt like. The feeling of holding the trophy with pride and the excitement of battling her opponent. Even the memories she had of her mother. The day she first experienced dueling was at a small tournament. She was only 7 at that time yet the memory stayed with her. After that, she learned how to duel through her mother. Every duel she won she would always go to her and they'll celebrate with some sweets. After she passed last year, she would try to move on by dueling and would still eat the sweets to celebrate. However, one day she stopped as she couldn't bear to duel without thinking of her.

Now that she thought about it, Magician's Valkyria resembled her a bit. Fierce yet calm and wise.

Magician's Valkyria was now in a greasy hand. "Isn't this too young for you?" Akil said waving the card in her face, "and what even is this card? It's so girly."

She tried to reach for it but end up cursing the heavens for making Akil the taller sibling. "Stop it already. Its mother's card. She gave it to me." The card was now in her cards again and she wiped the grease off it.

For a second it looked as if he was frozen and regretful. 

"Are you gonna start crying?"

"Oh go to school already. Geez" He stormed out of the room and collected his things.

"This guy is gonna be the cause for my depression." Rani was also about to leave until Aunt Lila held her arm stopping her. "Remember Rani. She was Akillcies' mother too."

Rani nodded in reassurance and left. 

.

.

.

The classroom would always be a buzz until a teacher arrives. On one side a group of girls would be huddled together talking about some new gossip and the other would be some geeks and other types. Rani headed straight to her desk in the third row and sat down with a sigh, opening a book to pass time. She barely noticed the group opposite from her desk gathering around until she heard something about duel monsters. This had peak her interest.

"Ah come on Yug! You and me a duel tomorrow right here. No questions. I'm gonna bring in my best cards tomorrow."

"Alright Joey. You've got yourself a duel."

And then that feeling was back again. Strong yet hidden and concealed. This time she felt like it was calling her out. It could put her to sleep with the tone of it.

A white spiky-haired walked in with a tidy uniform and soft and gentle eyes. She hadn't noticed that this student even existed. He sat down in the front row and his back faced her. 

Is he the thief?

She felt as if they were alone in the same room and found herself standing up and walking towards him. It felt stronger now as if it was following her but lessen as she was close. As she went closer he turned and she could see a golden ring hanging around his neck. The eye of wdjat in the center. 

"...nia

"Rania"

The teacher was now in front of the class, book in hands. "Rania time to sit down for class."

"Sorry." She said sheepishly and quickly bowed before turning around.

That's definitely a Millenium Item. He's the thief.

Her eyes had now caught another golden relic around another boy's neck. This one was an upside-down pyramid with the same eye of wdjat. She noticed that it was same boy talking about duel monsters. 

Two items? What is going on?