xv. reunion

CHAPTER FIFTEEN!

REUNIONS.

SHE WATCHES AS THE WOMAN FIXES UP HER HAND, the wound only minutes away from being greatly infected. There is blood all over her clothes and her hair is still soaking wet, dirty and oily. Rosalie probably looks as bad as she feels.

"There we go, all fixed up," The doctor speaks to her. "Congratulations again, Miss Barton,"

Rosalie doesn't respond, not even with a thank you. Instead, she diverts her gaze to the ground so that she no longer has to look at the woman. The people in the Capitol make it seem like winning is such a great honour but really, it's anything but. These games, they made her a killer. She's a killer.

"Your mentor will be on his way by now to see you," The doctor interjects into the silence. "And then you will see your stylist to get you ready for your interview,"

The woman leaves the room and that's when Rosalie finally decides to show some emotion again. She pulls her knees to her chest and sobs loudly, tears sliding down her cheeks as she tries to calm herself down.

The door opens up and almost instantly, there are a pair of arms around her. She recognises the embrace and she falls further into it, seeking comfort from her best friend. Finnick holds her tightly to his chest, his hand stroking through her matted hair. He's been through this before, he knows what it's like.

"I'm so happy you're home," Finnick whispers as he clutches her to him. "I knew you were strong, Rosie,"

"Finn," his name comes out in a whimper, her arms tightening around him as if he will disappear any second.

He pulls her head away and wipes away her tears with his fingers, his thumb straying over her cheek as she stares into his eyes. The boy leans his forehead against her's, enjoying her company and just glad she's actually here. Guiltily, he had his doubts about her winning but he thinks everybody did. He can only imagine what her family is feeling at home.

"Zach," Rosalie breathes the name and Finnick nods his head. "I killed him,"

"No, you ended his suffering. You did the right thing, sunshine. His family shouldn't have to see him suffer," Finnick responds.

"I doubt they see it that way,"

"I think you'll find you're very wrong,"

The brunette closes her eyes and allows more tears to leak from them, all her emotions bubbling within her. Whilst they mostly consist of sadness and anguish, there is a hint of relief and happiness — she gets to go home. In a matter of days, Rosalie will be able to return home to her family and live a relatively normal life. Her brothers and parents won't have to go hungry anymore, they'll have riches. The District, as a result of her win, will also be given some provisions that the other's will not get.