xxv. light at the end of the tunnel

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE!

LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL

ROSALIE HAS NEVER FELT AS PANICKED AS SHE IS NOW, desperately running towards the calls of her younger brother. He sounds so pained, so desperate, so much so that she can literally feel her heart shattering in her chest. Katniss is already so far ahead of her, Rosalie can barely see her in the distance any more. Prim's screeches have been drowned out by Carter, it's as if the girl's voice isn't ever filling the air.

"Carter! Carter where are you?" Rosalie yells, her eyes stinging as tears begin to flow down the sides of her face. "C! Please, answer me,"

The panic continues to rise, the blood pumping through her body so quickly that she can feel it in her ears. It's as if the world around her is a giant blur, the girl unable to distinguish one place from the next as she searches for her brother.

"Carter!"

She wonders what sort of sick satisfaction the Capitol are getting from this, Snow probably has that wicked grin on his face as he sips on his expensive wine, the deep red colour tainting his lips, and toasts to his wicked schemes.

This is despicable, and she can't help but have the thought in the back of her mind — maybe he knows about their planned rebellion. Maybe he's managed to unearth all the evidence and is now looking to torture all of those involved. It would make sense.

Then again, he doesn't ever really need motivation for his cruelty. Snow is a terrible person, and this only further shows that.

Carter's screams are still echoing in her ears, but then they change. The yells of her younger brother morph into that of her older one. It terrifies her to the core, she's running on pure adrenaline, hoping to find them both without them being in any sort of pain.

"Ash! Asher!"

The girl's screeches echo louder than those of her brother's, but she can't even hear them. Her entire focus is on finding her siblings — nothing else even comes remotely close to mattering in this moment.

Rosalie pushes through the foliage and eventually finds herself in a rather large clearing, trees in every direction as she spins trying to figure where to go. It's almost as if the voices are getting louder, but the brunette can not even be sure that is truly the case. Her mind is scrambled at this moment, it's not working properly as it works on processing all her emotions.

"Rose!"

"ROSE!"

"Rose!"