i. a storm is brewing

CHAPTER ONE!

A STORM IS BREWING

A STORM IS BREWING.

HER FINGERS SKIM ACROSS THE SAND AS SHE SITS AMONGST IT, the sunlight searing her lightly tanned skin. The sound of the waves crashing against the shore bring her great comfort, the simple presence of the ocean a symbol of peace in her life no matter what she is truly feeling. She's been sitting her a while now, unable to find a reason to leave. Sometimes she wishes she could simply live amongst the waves and never leave, they could shield her from the horrid world she is forced to live within.

"What are you thinking so hard about?" A soft, melodic voice flows through the air behind her. She recognises it instantly and allows a smile to pull at her lips. "I know I'm handsome but I'm sure you could find something else to ponder,"

"Sorry, I wasn't thinking about you this time," She teases in response, the person sitting on her right. "Maybe next time though,"

Finnick chuckles as she rests her head on his shoulder almost instinctively, his presence greatly appreciated at this moment. Days like these are normally the ones that they love and cherish, where they can just be in one another's company without a single care in the world. Unfortunately, there is a certain atmosphere that surrounds them today and it's all because of the dreaded Hunger Games. The reaping, which she would have to attend, is in mere hours.

"I know I'm always on your mind, it's okay to admit it. I promise I won't tell your parents that you're in love with me," Finnick smiles his usual bright and teasing smile, pouting when she slaps his arm gently. "Ouch,"

"You're an idiot. You're aware that my parents love you right? Tell them that and they'll push for marriage," Rosalie responds quietly.

"That wouldn't be so bad. I think you'd actually be pretty lucky,"

She rolls her eyes at him - she's entirely serious however. Her parents absolutely adore the Victor and her brothers get on well with him as well. Having Rosalie become an Odair would be amazing to them.

"Where's your smile, sunshine?" Finnick questions after a few moments of silence, her sullen face causing him to frown lightly. "The Rosalie I know would've out shined the sun by now,"

"The Rosalie you know is still here, just a little worried," She breathes and he looks at her. "Asher put his name in a few more times this year so we could get some more meals. I've lost count of the amount of times his name is in there and Carter - he's stressing out about it,"

"Hey, it's Asher's last year. I'm sure he'll be fine and then he won't have to worry about it anymore," Finnick tries to assure the girl and she shakes her head.

"Maybe but Carter still has a few more years left. He's fifteen, Finn. He'll think it's his responsibility to get us more rations soon and then I'll have to worry about him,"