xviii. deja vu

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN!

DEJA VU.

KATNISS EVERDEEN never thought she'd be in the exact same position as she was last year, sitting on the train and awaiting Haymitch to walk in. Peeta sits to her left, staring ahead as well. Haymitch is to arrive soon so that they can go over the pool of tributes that are going to be their opponents.

"These games are going to be a lot different than the last go. These tributes are all experienced killers," Haymitch explains as he walks over to the two tributes. "You will have to be more on your game this time round,"

Katniss leans back on the couch just as Haymitch turns the screen on. It is likely she will recognise some of these tributes, most of them more than likely quite recent. She is also well aware than most of them know each other already, probably have quite a strong relationship.

"Alright, what does that mean for us?" Peeta asks softly.

"That means you're going to have to have some allies," Haymitch explains to the boy who simply nods his head in response.

"Ok I think—" he is cut off by his mentor.

"You're not the problem," he points his finger towards Katniss.

"No," Her answer is definite.

"Look, you're starting at a disadvantage. Most of these people have been friends for years,"

Katniss rolls her eyes. "That just puts us higher on their kill list,"

"Do it your own way, but I know these people. You go it alone, their first move is gonna be to hunt you down. Both of you,"

"Katniss, come on," Peeta pleads quietly.

"How could any of us even trust each other?" Katniss questions.

"It's not about trust, it's about staying alive,"

The first of the tributes appear on the screen, admittedly Katniss doesn't recognise them. That is until they get to District Four and she definitely does. Leaning forward in her chair, she looks at the screen.

"Finnick Odair, right?" She asks her mentor who nods his head in response.

"Yes, he won his games at fourteen. Youngest ever. Extremely humble," Haymitch comments and Katniss scoffs is response.

"You're kidding?"

"Yes, I'm kidding. He's a peacock, a total preener. But he's the Capitol darling, they love him here. Charming, smart and very skilled in combat, especially in water,"

"What about weaknesses?" Peeta interjects, wonder evident on his face as he looks at the man. Katniss is also looking and when the screen flicks over to a brunette girl, she raises her eyebrows.