xxiv. like clockwork

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR!

LIKE CLOCKWORK

ROSALIE IS WELL AWARE THAT KATNISS HARDLY TRUSTS HER AND FINNICK. Adding more allies to the mix will more than likely make her even less trustworthy than before. Especially when one of those allies is Johanna Mason, who comes across quite brash at times. Regardless of that, Rosalie is quite fond of the girl from District Seven and she knows Finnick is as well.

The brunette gently runs her hand through Wiress' hair in order to remove some of the blood that has accumulated. The woman is muttering the same phrase over and over again, almost as if she's in a maddened state. Katniss is crouching beside her, trying to soothe the older woman as she repeats the words tick tock.

Rosalie simply smiles softly and nods her head, not wanting to upset Wiress at all, it's the furthest thing from her mind. The games are traumatic, that she knows first hand, and it has different effects on everybody. Some hide away their pain and others slowly slip into a state where their mind just won't function properly.

"Do you have any idea what she's talking about?" Katniss questions Rosalie quietly, receiving a shake of the head in response. "I can take care of her, go see what they're talking about,"

The brunette gives Wiress one last smile before standing up and moving over to the group. She gently dusts the sand off her outfit as she does, ignoring the slight red tinge to a few of her fingers. Nobody comments on it as she joins the small circle, the tributes in some sort of deep discussion. The girl lightly places her hand on Finnick's shoulder and he turned to look at her, a soft smile pulling at his lips. Johanna still looks incredibly irritated at the fact she has blood all over her.

"There's weird stuff happening all over this place," Rosalie comments, thinking back to the mysterious fog that had almost killed them. "The fog, the blood, even the lightening that seems to strike in the same place,"

"Yeah. It's different from anything I've ever seen before," Finnick adds, confusion washing over his facial features.

"What's that?" Rosalie is gesturing towards something that Beetee is holding in his hands, fiddling with the silver looking metal.

"A coil of something, like wire. He almost died trying to get it," Johanna responds with a sigh, the man from District Three looking up at the small group.

Rosalie knows exactly why he wants it, but unconsciously her eyes travel to Peeta who is listening as well. None of this can be spoken about in front of the District Twelve tributes. Katniss is too preoccupied with Wiress but there is no doubt that Peeta will pass on any information that seems suspicious to him, and then the entire operation will be in jeopardy.