𝗜𝗡𝗧𝗘𝗥𝗟𝗨𝗗𝗘¹

INTERLUDE.

FAST FORWARD

FAST FORWARD.

ROSALIE WATCHES THE TELEVISION BLANKLY, unable to truly hide the emotion in her eyes from the man sitting beside her. They'd lost their tributes early on, the two of them dying in the bloodbath at the very beginning. They were lovely children, polite and friendly. Having to watch them die has taken a massive toll on her — it does every year.

It has been six years since she won her Games and she has been unable to get any of her tributes out alive bar Annie Cresta who's sanity is hanging on by a thread. It weighs on her mind, the fact that her guidance resulted in their deaths. A few had managed to get the the top four but from there it was just a downward spiral.

"You couldn't have prevented that, Rose," Finnick says quietly as she leans her head on his shoulder.

"One from twelve, Finn. I have only been able to get one of them out alive and she is in terrible shape. Their families put trust in me and I can't even deliver. I just get to go home to my fancy house whilst they mourn the loss of their children," Rosalie whimpers lightly, her eyes full to the brim with tears.

"This is the furthest thing from your fault,"

Finnick's hands grab her face, all but forcing her head away from his shoulder so that he can look her in the eyes. A soft smile is on his face as he uses his thumb to wipe away one of her fallen tears, trying his hardest to comfort her with the slightest of touches. It works, it always does.

"If they want to blame anybody, they should blame those who send their children into these Games. The Capitol are to blame, not you. I am no better than you either, you're my only successful tribute," He speaks quietly and she nods, his forehead moving to rest against her's.

"Yeah," She croaks out in response.

Finnick lays back on the bed, guiding her down with him so she can lay against his chest. They're eyes are glued on the television as the Games begin to move towards the finale with only three people left. The said three tributes are all on top of the cornucopia, the boy from Two now falling after being kicked off.

Rosalie scrunches her eyes closed at the sound of his pain, holding onto Finnick tightly. Eventually his pain is silenced by an arrow and Rosalie opens up her eyes to see the tributes from Twelve making their way down.

"Attention. Attention, tributes. There's been a slight rule change. The previous revision allowing for two victories from the same district has been revoked. Only one victor may be crowned. Good luck. And may the odds be ever in your favour,"

"Assholes," Rosalie mutters under her breath.

She watches on in awe as the two of them hold handfuls of those poisonous berries that had killed one of the tributes before. A simple act yet one that wouldn't be taken well, an act of rebellion.

"Stop! Stop! Ladies and gentlemen, may I present the winners of the 74th annual Hunger Games,"

Finnick and Rosalie lay there in silence. A rebellion, a figment of hope.

Katniss Everdeen.