xx. fronting the public

CHAPTER TWENTY!

FRONTING THE PUBLIC

FRONTING THE PUBLIC.

SHE DIDN'T IMPROVE ON HER PREVIOUS TRAINING SCORE — not that it really bothers her in the slightest. She learnt rather quickly that those scores don't really matter in the grand scheme of things, anything can happen in the Games and anybody can win those Games.

What did surprise her though, was the scores of the two District Twelve tributes. Both of them got the perfect score, a twelve. She cannot think of a time when anybody actually got a twelve, let alone two people. She's well aware as to why the Game Makers have done such a thing, putting a target on their backs so they'll be the first ones to go in the arena. However, the Capitol are unaware of the plans that include many of the tributes in the arena, namely herself and Finnick who have now made a promise to Haymitch.

Tonight, well tonight she will have to front the people of the Capitol once again in her interview. The last time she had an interview, it was terrifying. Rosalie would like to think she's grown a little more confident in front of a crowd now with the whole victory tour she went on and everything.

Lila has once again leaned towards the purple attire, a flowing dress that reminds her a lot of the first one she wore. It's a beautiful dress, specks of gold covering the shoulder straps and a colour coordinated headband in her hair. Her hair, once again, is curled and falls down her back in rings. Lila is admittedly amazing at her job and Rosalie admires the vision she always seems to hold.

"So, have you discussed your interview strategy?" Lila asks as she applies the last layer of eye shadow to the brunette's eyes. "Or are you just going to roll with it?"

"Probably just roll with it. I've won a games now so I can probably try to appear more confident," Rosalie breathes out before opening her eyes and looking in the mirror. "You're brilliant,"

"That's all you," Lila smiles, fixing the girl's hair slightly. "Now, you better get going so you don't miss your interview,"

The brunette thanks her one last time before leaving the room and heading towards the backstage area where her District partner is waiting. The smile that graces his lips as she nears is familiar and breathtaking all in one, the one she returns just as sweet.

"You look gorgeous, Rose," He breathes, grabbing her hand in his and pulling her towards him. "Who am I kidding, you always do,"

The blush that rises on her cheeks is embarrassing to her but endearing to him, his smile only growing at the sight. He tugs her towards the waiting area where people are already standing about, Rosalie watching over all of the outfits and smiling when she sees Katniss in what appears to be a wedding gown — she has really kickstarted the rebellion without even knowing it by wearing that.

One by one people step up and have their turn, trying their hardest to guilt trip the Capitol into cancelling the games. There are many different strategies but she highly doubts any of them will work — Snow doesn't care about his Victors, they're simply all pawns in his game.

Rosalie squeezes Finnick's hands before it's her turn, accepting the comfort of his familiar grip. He nods at her when she lets go and she takes a deep breath, walking out onto the stage to loud cheering.

"Miss Rosalie Barton! My, it's been a while since we've seen you," Caesar begins and she smiles as sweetly as she possibly can at him. "How have you been holding up?"

"I've been great, thank you. Been living with my family in District Four," Rosalie replies.

"Ah, wonderful! Any lucky suitors back home?"

The blush is back and she can only imagine the way Finnick is laughing at her backstage, he probably finds it hilarious. Caesar's eyebrows are raised in interest, obviously as a result of her reaction to his question.

"I-uh, well I'm not sure," She eventually manages to stutter out. "I'll have to get back to you on that,"

"Right. Rosalie, much like everybody else, I'm keen to get your thoughts on these Games,"

"I'm disappointed, really. I was told that once I won I'd get to go home and I would get to live out my life in my District. Not only do I have to go through this twice but so does my family, it's probably a harder experience for them than it is for me,"

Caesar nods his head in what she believes is supposed to be some form of sympathy — something she most certainly doesn't want to see from anybody in the Capitol. They're the enablers, the people who put them through this.

"I've also grown to know and like these people here, they are my friends. I don't want to kill my friends," Rosalie manages to muster up some tears in her eyes as the crowd reacts to her sullen words.

"And I'm sorry you will," Caesar responds. "Ladies and gentlemen, Rosalie Barton of District Four!"

Rosalie manages a small curtesy before fleeing up to the back of the stage where the other tributes have gathered after being interviewed. She watches as her partner makes his way onto the stage and the audience explodes into a frenzy, Rosalie rolls her eyes at that. Ever the crowd favourite is Finnick Odair.

"Finnick, we understand you have a message for a special somebody tonight. Can we hear it?" Caesar asks him and Rosalie bites her lip lightly.

"My love, you have my heart for all eternity and if I die in that arena, my last thought will be of your lips,"

The crowd swoons and Rosalie's breath hitches lightly, noticing how his eyes move over to her during the middle of his small speech. The interviewer must notice as well because he follows his gaze and smiles almost excitedly. Before he has the opportunity to question it however, time is signalled and he has to let the man go.

Their eyes don't disconnect in the slightest as he walks towards her, standing awfully close when he gets there. Rosalie tilts her head to look up at him, her eyes shimmering with unshed tears. Whilst they simply stand there, it's almost as if they're the only people in the world.

Her hand reaches up and lays against his cheeks gently, before she leans up and presses her lips to his. Finnick responds by placing his hands around her waist and returning the kiss softly. The crowd is loud again and she can only assume they're watching which is what causes her to pull away, eyes wide and cheeks red once again.

Yet, somehow, their magical kiss on the stage was the furthest thing from the biggest surprise of the night. Not only did Katniss seemingly turn into a Mockingjay after spinning about in her dress but Peeta had dropped an even bigger surprise for the audience — Katniss' pregnancy.

Rosalie clutches onto Finnick as the crowd begins to turn rebellious, yelling and screaming about cancelling the Hunger Games for the year – there's probably little to no chance of that actually happening. Snow didn't care about their lives before, why would he care now?

Her hands end up in the grasp of Beetee and Finnick respectively, all the victors raising their hands as an act of unity — one that further cemented the start of the rebellion that Snow has been trying so hard to avoid.

note!

I'm sorry it's been so long, I hope you enjoyed the chapter!