Chapter 40

|You have to listen to "Seize the Day" by Avenged Sevenfold. I listened to it while writing this chapter and it fits so well! Good luck!|

*Blake’s POV*

                “Welcome to our world new bouncing baby boy,” the doctor smiled. I hated the term bouncing baby boy. It annoyed me and it annoyed Brian too. But now I completely ignored the overused phrase and stared in complete and utter shock at the life being held in front of me.

                There were no words. Nothing could describe the feeling I felt at that moment. The pain was still there but there was so much joy in me that the pain had no effect on me.

                The doctor handed me my baby. He was so small. He was wrapped in a soft little blue blanket. The moment Brian and I dreaded was here but I didn’t feel dread. I only felt a joy I had never experienced before.

                He had hair like Brian’s. I couldn’t believe our baby was born with a full head of hair. It was dark and full. He had a small squished little face. His small eyes were shut tight. I was so focused on our baby that I didn’t realize everyone had come into the room. I didn’t realize Brian was standing next to my bed in his regular clothes again.

                After a minute I looked up at Brian and smiled. Before the baby was born Brian was mortified while holding my hand. He was squeezing it harder than I was squeezing his hand. Now he actually had a smile on his face. Brian was happy. “Do you wanna hold him?” I asked quietly.

                Brian simply nodded not taking his eyes off of the baby.

                I once feared Brian would never come to accept our baby but now that our baby was here, he was feeling the same joy I was feeling.

                He carefully took our baby from my arms and held the small infant in his muscled tattooed arms. “Look at him,” he laughed quietly. I smiled. He was completely mesmerized. “Hey little guy,” he said quietly looking down at him.

                I then looked around the room at everyone and smiled. My sister was here along with her daughter and my parents. Brian’s family was here too. Standing next to them was Jimmy, Matt, Paige, Zack, Johnny, and Tori. Matt held in his arms an emotional Paige. He proceeded to kiss her on the head and hold her tighter.

                “I’m sorry to interrupt but do you have a name?” a nurse asked with a pen and paper in her hands.

                I looked at Brian who looked at me then back at the baby, “James Elwin Haner.” I looked up at him and smiled, it was perfect. The nurse handed me the paper to write the name down and I did as she wanted. Jimmy proceeded to grin uncontrollably as he moved next to Brian to see the child that was named after him.

                “Why me?” he asked while smiling down at our baby. “You were the one who brought me and Blake together. You were the one who saved this little guy’s life,” Brian responded, “you stopped Blake and me from making a mistake.”

                Jimmy grinned and stroked James’ hair. “He looks just like you Brian,” he laughed then cooed, “hey Jimmy, it’s your Uncle Jimmy.”

                “Excuse me I need to check James’ pulse and everything to make sure he’s okay, he’s still badly injured from recent events,” Dr. Smith demanded while walking into the room.          

                Brian sighed and let Dr. Smith do his job.

                Dr. Smith gently took James and checked him out.

                “Ugh oh,” Dr. Smith suddenly grew serious. “That’s not normal, get a nurse, get a nurse!” he shouted.

                A few nurses came running in and Dr. Smith mumbled some words to them and they ran out of the door with James.

                “What’s going on?” Brian shouted after them. Everyone except Brian ran out of the room following Dr. Smith and James to a different room. A nurse came back and explained to Brian and me that James was born a few days earlier than he was due. She used a bunch of medical terms that I couldn’t really understand explaining why it was bad that he did. The nurse then said in easier terms, “basically, he was using your body to heal himself. Now that he doesn’t have that anymore his body’s too weak to heal himself. I’m so sorry.”

                “Will he be okay?” I asked my voice cracking.

                Brian stood next to me clutching my hand and biting his lower lip. He was shaking.

                The nurse stared at me and Brian. She said nothing.

                “Well damn it speak!” Brian shouted letting go of my hand and punching the wall making a small dent. The nurse jumped back and stuttered, “there’s a 17% chance he’ll make it.”

                Brian’s face was blood red. I felt my stomach come up to my throat. Brian noticed my state and quickly grabbed a trashcan and held it up for me while I threw up. This wasn’t happening. This couldn’t be happening.

                I felt warm tears hit my neck right below where Brian’s head was. He was crying. I threw up again while Brian held my hair back and let tears stream down his angered red face.

                I stopped after a few minutes before Dr. Smith came back with Jimmy who was holding James.

                “I’m sorry Blake and Brian, James only has a few minutes, I thought it might be best to let you two hold and comfort him before the inevitable happens,” Dr. Smith said quietly then walked out of the room.

                Jimmy handed me James. Mine and Brian’s baby was softly breathing. His was light in my arms. I was heartbroken. I felt tears stream down my face as I held James. He was so little and fragile. The world was too much for him.

                “Here,” I whispered as I handed James over to Brian.

                Brian took James lightly and stroked his small head with his free hand. Jimmy blinked back a couple of tears that hadn’t fallen and quietly said, “I’ll leave you two,” then walked out of the room.

                Brian sat on the bed next to me and hummed “Seize the Day” to him.

                “Why that song?” I asked, my voice was shaky and the tears wouldn’t stop coming. Brian had stopped crying and was smiling down at his beautiful baby boy.

                “Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost,” he said.

                I smiled and leaned on his shoulder and rubbed my thumb lightly and gently across James’ forehead.    

                This small little human had made Brian completely change his mind about everything. Brian was a better person because of James. James and Jimmy were the two people in our lives that kept us together.

|I'm sorry you guys, the ending of this chapter is downright cruel. I hope you guys listened to "Seize the Day" it makes the chapter that much better.

That is a picture of Brian and the song of course is "Seize the Day" by A7X.

Thank you for reading, tell me what you think!|