Chapter 9

“No. Absolutely not you cannot just go behind my back and make the decision to tell them! They were my friends first, if anything I should be the one that tells them!” Brian yelled.

                I told him to come over so we could talk things out and surprisingly he came. We now stood in my small kitchen arguing over what was to happen later.

                “It’s too late, I already texted everyone to meet us at the park next door,” I fought back.

“Oh you mean the one that little kids play at after school? I’m sure that’ll go over well with their parents, a group of muscled up tattooed guys and two girls drinking not 6 feet away from their children, that’s not suspicious at all,” Brian countered.

                “Brian please! We have to tell them, it doesn’t matter where, I just feel awful keeping this from them. They deserve to know. They’ve been by your side through thick and thin, what are you so worried about?”

“I’m not worried about anything, it’s just none of their business!” Brian rubbed his forehead.

                I took the only action I knew I could do, “Brian, if you don’t tell them today, I will.”

                Brian raised his deep brown eyes and looked into mine. He had a look in his eyes I hadn’t seen before. It wasn’t hatred or anger or even happiness. No, it was something different. He tore his gaze away from my eyes and muttered under his breath, “I’ll tell them.”

                I was more nervous than I thought I would be going to the park with Brian. He seemed nervous too. He wore a black leather jacket with which he had his hands in the pocket of. Under it was a black v-neck with a graphic design on the front. I noticed that when he was nervous, he chewed on his lower lip a lot. As we neared the group they turned to face us but carried on their conversation at the same time.

                “Hey Brian, hey Blake,” Jimmy smiled knowing what was coming. “Hey Jimmy,” Brian and I said in unison. Brian slightly glanced at me then sat on the only empty bench at the metal picnic table. I slid in next to him feeling a little odd being this close to him, we were practically touching shoulders.

                As we all sat around the picnic table I started to take notice of parents giving us strange looks along with their children, Brian was right.

                “So what’s the occasion, why did we all have to meet here?” Zack asked.

                “The place didn’t matter, I just felt like meeting here,” I said, “but Brian and I have something to tell y’all.”

                “Y’all,” Jimmy repeated snickering to Matt.

                I glared at Jimmy and Matt to stop laughing. Zack and Johnny joined in making fun of my word choice, Paige kept nudging Matt’s arm to get them to stop and be serious but they kept going.

                “Hey y’all my name is Blake and I’m from Texas,” Matt mocked.

                “I don’t know about y’all but I suddenly have an urge to go milk a cow,” Zack chimed in.

                “Do y’all know where I can find some duct tape to fix my pickup truck?” Jimmy said in an overly dramatic southern accent.

                As Johnny started to say something I felt Brian sigh in frustration, his face grew red with anger.

                “Okay, I’m just going to come out and say it,” Brian murmured to me, his voice was a little shaky, it was weird hearing him like this.