chapter one.

Dakoda POV:

Two Years Later...

Silence.

My life is encased in silence. Sometimes my thoughts running rampant in my mind contribute to the only noise that surrounds me. You would think I would be used to the silence that has plagued this house for two years now but it still makes my stomach churn every time I step out of my room. This house that once held happiness, comfort and love has become a shell of the sanctuary it once used to be. I call it a house because it is just that, nothing more nothing less. It is no longer my home, it hasn't been for a long time now.

Making my way down the dark hallways that once shone with light, the only thing I could hear was the echoes of my footsteps bouncing off the walls. Today is the day. The day I have been looking forward to for the past two years. My high school graduation.

A sliver of excitement ran through me before I pushed it back down again. What was there to be excited about? It's not like anyone here besides myself knew that today for the first time in St George Preparatory Academy's history an eight-year-old was graduating with honours. I went to a school for the academically gifted, through hours and hours of sitting down with professors and scholars I was able to graduate in two years.

It was a feat that would have been celebrated if my mother was alive but now I wasn't even walking across the stage. I just wanted my diploma so I could move onto University. Let's just say the principal wasn't too happy when I just requested my diploma be mailed instead of shaking his hand, taking pictures, and doing interviews. He wanted the whole nine yards, I wanted to move on.

I was broken out of my thoughts when Agnella, our housekeeper, approached me with the mail. "Miss Dakoda, your mail has arrived." She said with a soft smile.

"Thank you Agnella." I responded with a smile of my own while taking the mail out of her hands. She turned and started to walk away before I called out to her. "Agnella do you know if any of my brothers are home?" She looked surprised at my question. I couldn't blame her, my brothers and I do not talk to each other unless it is absolutely necessary, and I most certainly never ask about their whereabouts. In fact, the last time I had talked to any of them was a couple of weeks ago, the conversation lasted less than twenty seconds.

"I believe they are in the main office Miss Dakoda."

I nodded my head, "Thank you again Agnella." I turned and hurriedly made my way back to my room. Once I reached the four walls that housed the majority of my existence for the past two years, I sprawled out on my bed, and anxiously started to open my mail. There it was.

Region of Lombardy- Ministry of Education

This is to certify that

DAKODA REESE DI GENOVA

Has satisfied the graduation requirements of the Italy School System

Accordingly, this Lombardy Certificate of Graduation is issued under the authority of the Minister of Education

The diploma looked fragile in my small hands. I immediately made a photocopy and stored it in my drive. I put it down after staring at it for a long time. This was an amazing achievement, so why wasn't I happy?

Maybe I should show my brothers, this would make them proud wouldn't it?

I paced up and down my room as I contemplated showing them. I had not made my presence known to them for a long time so I have absolutely no idea how they would react. This is important, right? They would be happy for me, right? I scoffed and cursed at myself. I cannot believe that I am currently too scared to show my brothers my diploma, it was pathetic.