Chapter 40: Progress and Protest

3rd person:
-

Class carries on like this. Slowly, the students start to open up to each other and soon after, to Professor Frost as well. Some even end up finding him in the night as Harry had.

Frost keeps hot chocolate stocked and the classroom door unlocked. waking several times in the first week to the sound of the classroom door opening. One of the supply closets has been completely taken over by pillows and blankets for those who visit in the night or fall asleep during class.

Jack never wakes them. He covers them with a blanket and continues teaching. First aid, he calls it. Physical first aid as well as mental and emotional.

Other Professors start to notice the changes. Most are small, like homework actually being handed in or the old "problem students" actually paying attention in class.

But the biggest noted change, was house unity. A small group of Slytherins and Gryffindor's were giving confidence lessons to a mix of Hufflepuff''s, Slytherin's and Ravenclaws.

Gryffindor's were coaching first years on all the dangers on the castle and how to get to all their classes. Hufflepuff's were taking care of the greenhouse and even designed a "Forbidden Forest" emergency pin that all students now wore.

The pin alerted Professor Frost to any panic attacks and or danger that a student might be feeling and tell him where they were.
(The pins are shaped like a tree root forming talons)

Ravenclaw's were giving advice to other students on how best to study depending on their learning methods. Upon learning that rhymes worked for a group of third year Hufflepuff, a Slytherin, and a Gryffindor the entire class ended up reciting a list of muggle laws in rhyme until the laughter forced the class to dismiss ten minutes early.

It was nearly the boiling point for Professor Burbage but, to her utter astonishment, (seriously, she ended up setting a book on Mrs. Norris' tail.) every single student received high marks in the muggle studies exam held the next day.

The empty halls very slowly start to fill with colour and laughter again, even the ghosts stop moping so much. It was progress, and, though everyone could see it, not many knew why.

When Professor Burbage confronts Rowen, the Ravenclaw who came up with the rhyme, he merely states that Professor Frost had them focusing on first aid.
That statement made no sense to Burbage so she takes it to Frost himself. The new Professor, as stony looking as always simply looked at her and said.
"It's amazing what happens when you let kids be entirely themselves."
-
-
With help from the professor and classmates, Wendall was getting over his fear of heights. Rowen was consuming any knowledge he could get on emergency aid, both muggle methods and magic.

Callum, affectionately called Shivers by Frost, was learning to create a schedule so he had time to read as well as eat. (One missed meal was enough to get scolded by Frost and Callum didn't like to disappoint the Professor.)

Harry was now focusing more on classes, though he still had bad days. He was handing in homework and answering the questions written on the board. Frost had taken one look at him studying over breakfast and snatched his glasses away. After several adjustments to the prescription Harry could actually see clearly.