- Chapter 10-

Two years ago

"Hope you enjoy living here in our apartments. Here are the keys for your apartment door, keys for your mail locker, and the key to the parking lot door. It shuts at a  certain time at night so residents need to use their key to get into the parking lot but don't worry if you ever forget since the guards pass by there frequently and would unlock it for you," The building manager said handing over Takumi's items. "The other tenants on your floor are really nice so I'm sure you'll gain new friends here in no time."

"Thank you," Takumi said taking his keys from the woman. He placed the keys in his pockets and picked the last of his boxes for the new apartment.

"Do you need any help taking these boxes upstairs?" The woman offered upon seeing he had four boxes placed on the floor to take up to his new apartment.  

"I'll manage, thank you for the offer." He rejected her kindness. He was capable of taking his things up by himself. "Good day," He said before reaching down to pick up all four boxes at once.  Takumi walked in the direction of the elevator to get the boxes out of his hand as soon as he could.

"What a handsome young fellow. I hope the women outside see him and try to get an apartment here," The building manager said noticing Takumi was already catching the eyes of several women.

Reaching the elevator door, Takumi pressed the button for the elevator door to come down. 

"Do you need help?" He heard the voice of a woman ask the question. 

Looking to his side he noticed it was a raven-haired woman with amber eyes. "No thank you," He declined her help. He just wanted to take the boxes to his apartment alone.

"Come on. You can't carry them by yourself," She said taking two of the boxes from him. What was hard about receiving help? Plus, she was stronger than she appeared.

"You-" He was interrupted by the elevator arriving. The woman stepped in first and looked at him wondering why he wasn't also stepping on. Takumi sighed and stepped inside the elevator. She already had the boxes in her hands so there was nothing he could do about it. He pressed the button for the fourth floor.

"Oh. You're on my floor. My name is Misaki Ayuzawa apartment 405," Misaki said introducing herself. "I would extend my hand to greet you but the boxes."

"Takumi Usui room 406," Takumi replied. "And likewise," He said in regards to the boxes in his hand.

"You're right in front of my apartment. What a coincidence," Misaki said at their coincidental meeting. "Oh, welcome to the building!" she exclaimed remembering she hadn't welcomed him to the apartment building.

"Thank you," Takumi answered then kept to himself. He wasn't interested in making friends in the building. He was just here to live in peace, not make friends. They remained in silence until they reached the fourth floor.

When the doors of the elevator opened both Takumi and Misaki stepped out and continued to walk in silence to his apartment. 

"It was nice to meet you Takumi," Misaki said placing his boxes down on the floor when they reached their apartments. She didn't want to go inside of his apartment and figured she had helped him enough. "Remember if you need anything I'm right across from you so....don't hesitate to ask. Goodbye," She awkwardly turned around and went to open her own door. For some reason, her key didn't want to work the one time she wanted to open her door quickly.

 "Come on," She muttered knowing Takumi was just standing there watching her since she hadn't heard him attempting to open his own door. "Ha," She breathed when it finally open. Misaki stepped inside without looking back at Takumi and closed the door. 

Takumi smiled at her failed attempt to escape their awkward silence. It seemed his neighbor was an interesting character.  Directing his attention to the boxes she placed on the floor, he proceeded to open his apartment door. Takumi placed the boxes he had in his arms inside first then went back to get the two off the floor and shut the door after. 

Placing his keys on the table he looked around at his seemingly dull apartment because of his lack of decor. "Home sweet home," He whispered. 

Two months later...

"Have a good night," A cashier said giving Takumi back his change.

"Good night," Takumi responded taking his drink off the counter. He had taken a walk to a mini-mart near the apartment building for fresh air and to get a drink. He had been in his apartment the majority of the time since he moved in because he worked from home and wasn't much of a social person. 

Opening his drink he left the mini-mart figuring he had been out long enough. On the outside, one might think he was lonely because of the way he lived but Takumi was quite content with it. He was accustomed to living alone. Takumi took a sip and thought about his life. It was indeed a bit boring and dull-

"I told you guys to go to school and do something with yourselves. Stop making your mom worry about you," He heard a familiar voice in the distance. Getting closer he saw it was his neighbor Misaki Ayuzawa. He couldn't remember the last time he saw her since they met when he moved in. She was talking to a group of high school boys.

"We aren't good at school," One of the boys spoke up.

"Then study harder," Misaki stated the obvious. "I better not hear any of you guys are getting into trouble again. If you really try you'll be surprised by what you can achieve."

"But we like our life how it is," another one said.

Misaki smiled taking a step closer to the boys. She quickly grabbed all their school ties, wrapped them around her fist, and pulled the boys closer so they could listen.

"Wow," Takumi commented in disbelief at the scene in front of him.

"You guys will study harder right?" Misaki questioned again. She tightened the ties around her fists.

"Y-Yes ma'am," They all agreed in unison. 

"Great," Misaki said releasing them and started to fix one of their ties. "Now go home. It's too late for high schoolers to be out. Go on."

Takumi continued to watch on still in disbelief. He wasn't expecting her to pull all their ties like she did to get their attention. He smiled watching her run to help an old lady carry fruits that kept falling. Was she the neighborhood hero? 

He followed behind Misaki and the old lady since they were all heading in the same direction. The smile never left his face as Misaki was telling the woman crazy stories. What else could she surprise him with?

A/N: Currently on vacation so I'll be updating weekly. Our lives will update Wednesday. Innocent romance Friday or Saturday. 

The next teach me chapter will be up next Tuesday.