4 - Sokovia Accords

Rhodey, Natasha, Barry, Tony, Morgan, Vision, Wanda, Tommy, Billy, Sam, dad, and I gathered around the table. Apparently, the Secretary of State summoned us.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass . . . I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives . . . but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some . . . who would prefer the word "vigilantes"." He said.

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Barry asked. He was the first one to talk out of all of us.

"How about "dangerous"? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" He activated a screen behind him. It showed footage of us in the past on the screen.

"New York."

A Chitauri leviathan. Terrified citizens. A soldier firing a gun. The Hulk smashed into a building and sent a dust cloud to engulf the camera. Rhodey glanced back to Natasha.

"Washington DC."

The three Insight helicarriers, firing on each other. The destroyed Triskelion. A helicarrier crashing into the Potomac and throwing up a massive wave, engulfing citizens and the camera. It seemed like to much. I noticed Sam look down.

"Sokovia."

Terrified citizens, running. The city rising. A building fell over. Billy stared at the screen, and so did Morgan.

"Lagos."

The burning building. Paramedics moving a body. A dead girl. I noticed Wanda. She was particularly affected by the footage. Dad decided to intervene.

"Okay. That's enough." Secretary Ross nodded to an aide of images and the images disappeared.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." He placed a thick document on the desk and passed it to Wanda. She picked it up, then slides it to Rhodey.

"The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries . . . it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Dad said.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" He asked. It got me thinking about Tera. I had no idea where she was either. I looked at Barry, who looked down. He didn't know where they were either. I looked up and met Ross's eyes. "If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes . . . you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."

"So, there are contingencies."

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords."

I glanced at Morgan, who was looking at Tony. "Talk it over." The secretary said.

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha asked.

"Then you retire."

~

Steve POV

We gathered at the HQ. I studied the accords while Sam and Rhodey argued behind me. "Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than you have." Rhodey started.