PART 22

HIS gaze drifted towards the sleeping girl in his arms , warmth radiating from the blanket that cocooned their bodies - his fingers entwined with hers , her cheek resting against his shoulder - their breaths synchronizing into a patterned melody ,...

HIS gaze drifted towards the sleeping girl in his arms , warmth radiating from the blanket that cocooned their bodies - his fingers entwined with hers , her cheek resting against his shoulder - their breaths synchronizing into a patterned melody , saccharine sweetness of an angel's hymn. Orange shadows danced across the light freckles  that dotted her nose like a million constellations across a galaxy , and each time she shuffled closer to him while in the realm of Morpheus , his heart raced in his ribs , igniting twirling meadows of honeysuckles and butterflies fluttering with gaudy wings across the zircon sky.

A low , harsh screech against the window pane jolted him out of his stupor , and his silver eyes went towards the arching , tawny hued window that rose across the threshold into the carved dome , pearly beads glistening against a canvas of lapis lazuli. A handsome eagle owl scratched at the glass , talons curled around an envelope folded out of fine parchment.

Draco hated to wake her , watching how she slept peacefully. And so , he gently crept away from under her , softly laying her back on the couch , head resting upon the embroidered cushion of molten sapphire.  Gently pulling his fingers away from her grasp , he was hit with an overwhelming frigidness. Standing up with a light sigh , his feet moved past the round coffee table of oak - mugs stained with reminiscent drops of hot chocolate.

Opening the window , he held out an arm for the hooting owl to perch upon - before taking the letter from it's paws.

Flipping it , in the light of the flames from the hearth he read the sentence engraved in brilliant peridot ink -

"To , E.M.R."

The initials upon the letter confused him , and Draco raised a brow - racking his brains for a Ravenclaw with such initials. Under the elegant cursive , sealing the mouth of the envelope was the Frey crest in an exuberant shade of plum.

A letter for Evanna ?

"Her initials are not E.M.R.", he mumbled to himself , before he heard a soft grumble resound from the couch where Evanna lay asleep in peace. Swiftly pocketing the letter , he watched the owl melt into the darkness of the bleeding onyx sky , until it was just a blur in the distance , a blur behind the conical shingles of the eerie castle.

Walking noiselessly across the Tunisian carpet of blue crystal that adorned the otherwise bare wooden floor , he returned to where the girl lay - sitting on the edge of the royal blue couch. The corners of his lips tugged upwards unconsciously , as he slowly ran his fingers through the hair of caramel that curtained her like a waterfall of copper - and his gaze returned to the platinum bracelet that caught the light of the flames , and shone - glistened brightly like a lantern for a blind man in a cave of enshrouded darkness. His smile widened as he realised that she still wore the bracelet , but when his fingers absently brushed her wrist , he heard her shuffle beside him - the queer azure locket around her neck glinting in the light.

"Did I wake you ?", He asked softly.

Shaking her head , a small smile came over her lips as she whispered ,"No." Shifting slightly closer to him , his breath hitched in his throat as she pressed a kiss to the corner of his lips , before resting her head on his shoulder once again , and drifting back to sleep. Tentatively , he returned her sleepy embrace , periwinkle flowers blossoming in his throat , curling around his ivory white lungs and reaching out towards the purple pink lungs , palpitating heart and tainting his pale cheeks a deep shade of peony. He tried to convince himself that it was solely from the delirium of sleep that she had done so - and yet his heart gave a flutter , beating rhythmically in the cages of his ribs - letter crumpled within the depths of his pockets.