PART 26

HER footfalls echoed across the tawny walls , the sound of shoes dragging across the flagged stones - pleasant speckles of mercury alight in the blue spheres of her irises , a pleased smile on her lips as her obsidian robes brushed against her ank...

HER footfalls echoed across the tawny walls , the sound of shoes dragging across the flagged stones - pleasant speckles of mercury alight in the blue spheres of her irises , a pleased smile on her lips as her obsidian robes brushed against her ankles as she walked. Her eyes searched the crowd for a familiar Gryffindor with brown hair , and upon spotting Hermione outside a classroom , she swiftly walked up to the girl.

Her fingers clamped tightly around the girl's arm , and Evanna ignored the yells of protest that emanated from Hermione , pulling her aside - towards the shadowed walls of the corridor. Standing underneath a lit torch , it's amber flames irradiating the nooks stitched apart by spider webs - Evanna turned to face an irate Hermione.

"What is it , Frey ? I am getting late for Ancient Runes", She whispered. Evanna's hand dropped from the girl's robe sleeve - as she spoke hurriedly ,"Muffliato."

"Why are you using a silencing charm ?", The Gryffindor questioned , as she looked around frantically to see the scarlet flickers solidifying into a transparent wall barring the duo from the other students. A myriad of thoughts rushed through her mind - and she drew in a suppressed breath.

"The D.A. is about to get caught", Evanna said calmly , watching with an inner feeling of glee as Hermione's features paled instantaneously , a gulp running down the girl's throat.

"W-what ?", She said , before composing herself and saying ,"Aren't you supposed to keep that pink toad away from us ?"

"I did. For almost the entire year , Granger. But I think Umbridge has finally caught up , considering she asked all the Inquisitorial Club members to meet her today before dinner. I was on my way to there , when I decided to inform you", Evanna inferred. "I suppose someone sold you out."

"But who could it be ?"

Evanna shrugged , blatantly lying as she turned on her heels - beginning to trace her steps towards the meeting , before she felt a hand on her shoulder make her halt her steps.

"You have formed some sort of defensive magic group as well , haven't you , Evanna ?", Hermione whispered - making the girl turn around to face her.

"What makes you think so ?", The Ravenclaw enquired with a gentle smile , and Hermione shook her head - a soft , weary sigh escaping her sanguine lips.

"I have seen you , Evanna , I have seen you in the library at the crack of dawn - I have seen you study so , so much outside of what we need to know. You don't have any singular aims , but all these signs lead to something surely , that I need to know. You have formulated a group , I see them moving with you all the time - quiet. And the defensive magical abilities of a few Slytherins - namely , Warrington , Shafiq , Parkinson and some  others have improved quite suddenly , and quite considerably. I haven't figured out what you're up to , why you haven't been caught yet - but I need to know", Hermione finished with a slight pant for breath.