PART 29

HER ears were greeted by a pandemonium of muffled sobs that reverberated against the walls of the Slytherin Common Room

Evanna raised a brow , her feet carrying her further. She had arrived there to work with Draco on their homework , considering classes had ended quite early , when she heard the muffled cries coming from behind the door , the initials 'd.m.' glistening as it lay engraved in mercury upon the obsidian door knob. Her fingers curled into a fist , and she knocked upon the door.

No answer came.

She knocked twice , once again - but in vain. A soft sigh escaped her cranberry lips , and she opened the door to his room. Her irises were met by an utter , impenetrable darkness that occupied the expanse of the vast room , only the twirling emerald flames that cast reflections of peridot on the mirrors of pure crystalline gilded in gold.

The boy with stardust hair sat with his back resting against the edge of the four poster at the center of the room , legs drawn to his chest as long exhales came out through the ribs that caged his purple pink lungs. A nauseating sensation travelled up the ivory staircase of his spine , fear choking him and leaving him gasping for fresh breath in it's wake. Draco Malfoy's past had always haunted him , the burning mark on his father's arm had given him restless nights over what would happen if he became of age. And now his past had finally caught up to his present - the Furies blessing him with the twist of Fate , a gift for how much he had tormented those around him and disappointed his loved ones. The unknown darkness that swirled within his soul , tightened it's grasp around his neck , and rivers of mercury escaped his grey irises like the uncontrollable tears of rain cirrus.

His sobs slowly subsided , and he felt a presence next to him - on the floor. Their hand crept behind him , rubbing gentle circles there as they held his hand , and he relented. Somehow , he knew it was Evanna , she had a way of finding him when he was devastated. He felt a light kiss on his cheek , a comforting gesture that radiated warmth into his cold presence. He finally looked up from where he had cradled his head within his arms , connecting his silver stare with the brilliant ocean spheres of Evanna's.

She offered him a smile of serenity , tranquility from her being slowly encompassing his being as he held his tears back with another tight inhale.

"What's wrong ?", She whispered slowly , her hand rising to cup the side of his face before tucking a strand of his moondust hair behind his ear. He drowned in the scent of peaches and honey that emanated from her , and he nodded.

"Is it alright if I tell you ?"

"Of course it is , love."

"A little before you arrived , I received a letter from Father", He retched out.

Within those few words , she seemed to understand everything - her jaw clenching , and she asked , her stone still gentle ,"Can I read the letter ?"