PART 31

PANSY Parkinson had never anticipated the outcomes of the gamble she was risking

She had never expected herself to carefully maneuver herself out of a web , before falling prey to the claws of the spider. She disguised herself as one of the muggles , dressing in an ordinary black coat fit for a rainy day. The skies were overcast , reflecting the brewing storm Pansy felt within her heart.

Her arm was bare of any mark - her heart a little relieved at that. Her family had been pressuring her yes , but - did Pansy really wish to join the Death-Eaters ? She wanted to be much more than a follower , she wanted a slice of the world someone else would conquer.

And that thirst was only quenched when Evanna came along. But the price she payed was the same. Even today , she still felt as though it were only some time ago when the seemingly innocent Ravenclaw had first befriended them - before using their greed as her leverage , their ambition as a means of manipulation.

Although she did not have to bear a mark as one of the disciples - she did have to swear on her family , pledge her loyalty to the Frey heir. But her ambition had always gotten the best of her. Besides , if she did help Evanna in her quest - there was still a greater chance of her being able to pursue her subdued , forbidden affections for a certain bushy-haired Gryffindor.

She apparated herself from the corner of the London streets , marred by puddles filled with grey waters - to the mercury hued village of Little Hangleton. Inwardly , she felt herself slightly envious of Draco. Evanna's love for the boy had outdone her rationality , and she had taken his place as the Dark Lord's second-in-command.

A soft sigh escaped her lips - and she traversed through the bustling cobblestone streets of the muggle village. A stale air hung low over the shingles that were coated in dust , poor children dressed in worn rags running past her , barefoot as they chased a cat down the street. Shops lined either sides of the streets , occasional cars passing by in  a flurry - a manor looming in the distance , brushing against the opal cirrus upon the heavens.

The Riddle Manor.

Pansy weaved her way through the crowds , eyeing the shops she passed by - a local pub , tailoring shops as well as shops filled with clothes , ornamental stores and an apothecary embellished with jars of muggle pills the girl scrunched her nose at. Momentarily , her olive irises caught onto a beautiful piece of jewellery , hanging on a small mannequin inside a small shop that sold trinkets.

It was a chain fashioned out of rose gold , the tiniest of diamonds engraved upon a leaf of fine gold that hung as the locket of the chain. Even in the dim flames of the dismal shack in which it somehow stood , the chain irradiated the warmth similar to what the Slytherin felt when she was in the presence of Hermione Granger.

Shaking her head , her breath leaving a trail of mist in it's wake - she trudged down her path - rounding the corners adorned by the bushes of verdant , pointed leaves ; sharpened nettle leaves strewn upon the path. Before long , she found herself at the fork in the road - one meandering up to the affluent Riddle Manor , the other leading into the outskirts of the woods that lined the village.