Umbridge's First Class

As everyone went back to their common rooms, Carson and Hermione unpacked their things into their shared dorm. They had separate twin beds, but they decided to put them together to make one big bed. Once they had unpacked, Carson and Hermione went down to the common room, to see Seamus and Harry fighting.

"Me mam didn't want me to come back to Hogwarts."

"Why?"

"Well...because of you."

"What did I do?"

"She...well, she figures your well... you're lying about you-know-who and Dumbledore's a right nutter."

"Where'd she get that from?"

Harry then saw the daily prophet saying he's a liar and that Voldemort isn't back. There's also a section where he's accused of trying to kill Carson during the third task.

"So, she believes this stuff?"

"Well...yeah."

Seamus looks away from Harry, and he storms off into his dorm for the night. Ron quickly went after him and Hermione and Carson returned to their dorm.

The next day was their first defense against the dark arts class with Umbridge. They all arrived at the classroom and waited for the professor. Carson and Hermione sat next to each other; their hands connected under the table. Ron was sat next to them with an empty seat for Harry once he arrived.

When he arrived, Umbridge was at the front of the classroom, smiling creepily at the students.

"Sorry Professor.." Harry muttered, as she smiled at him.

"Hmm, let's see. Five points from Gryffindor for coming in late." Umbridge stated, as Harry took his seat next to Ron and frowned. Even Snape wouldn't have done that.

"Now, as I was saying before Mr. Potter interrupted with his antics, your Defense Against the Dark Arts education has been fragmented and disjointed hasn't it? Know now this is about to be rectified. I will be following a pre-approved ministry-prepared theory-centered defense lesson plan." Umbridge stated, as she magically passed out textbooks.

She waved her wand at the blackboard and some words were written down. "Copy this down." She instructed. Everyone started writing begrudgingly, as Hermione raised her hand and did not copy anything down. Carson looked shocked, but sent her a reassuring smile, knowing she was probably going to ask an important question.

Umbridge noticed Hermione's hand, but chose to ignore it, and more people started to look at Hermione, she was not backing down. Finally, Umbridge chose to answer her, since the whole class was watching.

"Yes?"

"I wanted to know something about your course aims."

"Well, I don't think they are. They say nothing about actually doing spells."

Umbridge started laughing at her statement, as Carson sent Hermione a reassuring squeeze, as the two hands were still connected under the table. Hermione smiled at him, before returning her attention to the pink toad.

"I can imagine no circumstance in my class where you would need to use spells my dear!"

"But surely the whole point of defense against the dark arts is practical application?"

"Miss Granger, this class has been approved by ministry experts. Are you a ministry expert?"

"She could be! Hermione's the smartest witch I know! She could even be the minister of magic! Mark my words she will be the minister one day." Carson shouted, everyone's attention turning to him. Umbridge paid him no mind and went back to Hermione.

"You have no business challenging those who are. We will be learning about spells in a secure risk-free environment."

"But we've got O.W.L.S coming up! You expect us to do the spells with no practice?" Hermione objected, as Harry had enough and spoke up.

"What good is theory in the real world?"

"This is school, not the real-world Mr. Potter. There is nothing out there waiting to get you."

"What about Lord Voldemort?" Harry asked, most kids gasping at hearing his real name. Carson went white at the mention of him.

"Ten points from Gryffindor Mr. Potter, let me set the record straight." Umbridge commanded. "Some of you have been told that a certain dead wizard has returned, this is a lie."

"It is not a lie!" Harry shouted, standing up and knocking over his books in the process.

"Mr. Potter you have just landed yourself detention!"

"So according to you, Carson Marshall dropped dead then came back to life on his own?! Or are you calling me an attempted murderer?" Harry asked, as Carson started getting nauseous as the memories of that night in the graveyard replayed in his mind.

"That boy's attempted death was a tragic accident! He hurt himself in the maze." Umbridge clarified but was quite far from the truth.

"It was murder! I saw it happen! I saw my best friend get murdered and come back to life!"

"Stop! Stop it! Harry! You're frightening him!" Hermione shouted, holding Carson in her arms, as he was shaking and sweat dripped down his face muttering to himself "Not the graveyard..." over and over.

"Mr. Potter you've earned yourself a weeks' worth of detentions!" Umbridge shouted, as Harry glared at her.

"Yeah talk to somebody who cares. Lord Voldemort tried to kill Carson, and you know it."

"No! I don't want to talk about the graveyard! Stop! Stop talking about it!" Carson shouted, gaining everyone's attention as they looked at him nervously. "It's okay Carson, you don't have to talk about it...you're alright. Nobody is making you talk about it, you don't have to share anything you don't want to. Harry's going to stop talking about it okay?" Hermione cooed, easing the boy's worries as he started to calm down.

Umbridge took out a quill and wrote something down on a piece of paper and scribbled something down.

"That goes to Professor McGonagall dear, and take Mr. Marshall with you. He looks quite ill. Detention for you as well Mr. Marshall, for interrupting in my class."

Harry ripped it out of her hand, as Carson shakily followed along as everyone in the class watched the two leave, Hermione especially worried for her boyfriend.

"Carson...are you okay? I'm sorry for bringing up the graveyard. I didn't know how much it affected you."

"I'm fine Harry. It's just still a bit hard to talk about is all." Carson reassured, as the two walked to Professor McGonagall's office.