The Diadem

The group met back up with Harry, as Neville ran up to him.

"Ginny! Neville! Carson! Are you all right?" Harry asks, seeing how the two look beat up.

"Never better! Feel like I could spit fire! Haven't seen Luna, have you?"

"Luna?"

"I'm mad for her! Think it's about time I told her, seeing as there's a pretty good chance we'll both be dead by dawn!" Neville shouts, running off.

Ginny runs off after him, and Harry and Carson make their way into the room of requirement.

"So the diadem is in here?"

"I think so."

The two start looking in the room, and Harry spots it. He goes over for it, and just before he grabs it, they run into Malfoy, Goyle, and Blaise Zabini.

"Well, well, what brings you here, Potter? Marshall?"

"I could ask you the same."

"I virtually lived here last year. Remember?"

"We remember."

"You have something of mine Potter. I'd like it back." Malfoy gestures to the wand.

"What's wrong with yours?" Carson asks suspiciously.

"It's my mother's. It's very powerful, but it's not the same. It doesn't... understand me. Know what I mean?" Malfoy shares, studying the wand.

Harry reaches into his pocket, taking the wand.

"Easy." Malfoy tells him.

"Why didn't you tell her? Bellatrix. You knew it was me. But you didn't say anything."

Blaise and Goyle, confused by this, regard Draco dimly from either side. Draco fidgets, his hand twitching on the wand.

"Give me my wand."

"Answer his question Malfoy." Carson commands.

"No. I don't think so... Besides, its allegiance is to me now. If you want it, you'll have to win it back. Perhaps even kill me.." Harry trails off, knowing he won't.

"C'mon, Draco. Don't be a prat. Just do 'im." Goyle says to him.

Draco hesitates, and Harry and Carson notice Hermione's silhouette in the shadows, as she sends a burst of light Goyles way.

"Avada kedavra!" Goyle responds, Hermione dodging it just in time.

The spell ricochets off the stone, sending the diadem flying away. Carson fires a spell at Goyle, and soon follows after him, making sure he knows what happens if someone tries to hurt Hermione.

"Did you see where it went? The diadem!" Hermione asks Harry, who disarmed Blaise.

"It's gone! We'll never..." and just then, the diadem comes flying along with a moldy pile of books, Hermione catching it just in time.

"Well done. Let's find Carson and get out of here." Ron tells them, as Carson comes sprinting down, coughing as he did so.

"RUN! Goyle's set the bloody place on fire!" Carson shouts, grabbing Hermione and pulling her along quickly.

The four run down the room, finding no matter which way they turn the flames follow them.

"Split up!" Harry commands, as Him and Ron went one way, and Carson and Hermione went the other.

"Do we climb?!" Hermione asked her boyfriend.

"No! It'll just follow us!"

"Here! Take one!" Carson shouts, sending Harry and Ron a broomstick, keeping one for himself and Hermione.

"I know you hate flying, Mione, so I'll do it. You just hold on okay? Hold on and don't let go." Carson instructed, as Hermione nodded.

They hop on the brooms, starting to fly away, as they see Goyle get devoured by the flames.

"Serves him right." Ron shouted.

"This way!" Hermione points to the exit, as Carson flies out. The two flew out of the room quickly, not seeing Ron and Harry turn back for Malfoy and Blaise.

The couple landed outside on the ground with a thud, immediately connecting in a tight hug, happy they both made it out alive. Hermione's head was nestled under Carson's chin, as his chin was resting on top of her head. The two shared a passionate kiss, before Harry and Ron flew out with Malfoy and Blaise.

"Ron, you once asked me if I thought he felt it, Voldemort, when we destroy a Horcrux, when we destroy a piece of his soul. He does." Harry explained as soon as they got out. "It's the snake. She's the last one. The last Horcrux."

"Where will he take her?" Carson asked.

"Somewhere safe." Hermione answered.

"No. He'll keep her close." Harry told them, touching his scar.

"Look inside him, Harry." Ron tells him, "Find out where he is. If we find him, we find the snake. Then we're one step closer to ending this."

Harry closes his eyes, and they wait for an answer. "I know where he is. The boat house."

The four made their way to the boathouse, Carson splitting off from the group after seeing Lavender and Greyback fighting.

"No!" Carson shouted, stepping into the fight. He managed to keep Greyback away, only to be hit with a killing curse from behind, causing darkness to overtake, and his breathing became slower, until it stopped. Before he drew his last breath, he sent one last light to Hermione, reminding her that he had loved her until the end.