Two: First Steps

All Sunday I thought about how to put my plan into practice. I almost forgot my Potions homework, which would be the equivalent of a suicide. Fortunately, Wilton, who became very concerned about my mission when he sobered up, reminded me of it in time.

I was aware that it would take a long time. To see what works for him, I'd have to get to know him. I didn't worry too much about it, because Lupin looked like a simple, nice man. The only challenge will be to overcome the barrier between me, the student, and him, the teacher.

I spent the whole week trying to get to know his routine. Wilton and Jaylee helped me put together his timetable, more or less. I myself watched him whenever I could without looking suspicious. I noticed he was quite socially awkward. Once I discovered this, it seemed so obvious to me. Although he was a professor, he differed from his colleagues in every way possible. He himself felt out of place sitting at the staff table.

When it was time for Defence Against the Dark Arts class, I still didn't feel ready, but I couldn't wait any longer.

"What are you gonna do?" asked Brook, sitting next to me.

I bent over to her and said in a whisper, "I'll just let him see me. I'll be asking questions. I'll smile at him as he watches. Nothing rapid."

As the door banged shut and Lupin walked across the room to the front, I noticed Wilton giving me a thumbs up from across the room. He looked like a child who was waiting for some awesome fairy tale.

For the first hour, Lupin was explaining to us the relation between the dominant hand and the strength of a spell, and its connection to nonverbal ones. Surprisingly, it was quite pleasant to listen to.

Finally he looked around the class, "Any questions? Is something unclear?"

I raised my hand. His eyes landed on me immediately. "Yes, Miss Jenkins?"

I was surprised he knew my name. I've never had direct contact with him before. Did he learn his students' names after hours? A hobby for lonely evenings?

I cleared my throat. "Is there any way to strengthen the other hand? To become ambidextrous?"

"You know such a word?" Brook whispered, suppressing a laugh. I hissed, silencing her, without taking my eyes off the man.

"It is unlikely. Nobody has succeeded yet, although there have certainly been many who have tried." He replied, walking around the classroom. "However, it is worthwhile to practice casting spells with the opposite hand. Should it somehow be impossible to do with our better hand, it's good to know the capacity of the other."

I smiled at him in silent thanks for his comprehensive answer. He returned it.

The second part of the class turned out to be completely practical. My job was to disarm Brook without saying a word. She, on the contrary, was to defend herself against me in the same way. It wasn't perfect at first, but over time I figured it out.

As I casted the spell and made Brook's wand land at my feet, I heard Lupin's voice behind my back, "Great job Miss Jenkins."

I turned, both surprised and flattered, "I may be small but I'm mighty."

He chuckled, "I wouldn't dare to think differently."

With that, our paths parted that day.

Brook started pestering me right after we left class, "That's it? That's all you got?"

"What did you want me to do? Threw myself into his arms?" I replied sarcastically.

Wilton suddenly appeared at her side, "Brook, our friend knows what she's doing."