Ten: Find Me

Lupin pushed me through a door that turned out to be leading to his bedroom. I tried not to look around.

"Hide somewhere and don't make a sound." He said, then closed the door behind him. A second later I heard someone entering the living room. "Hello Minerva." He greeted the visitor, "What brings you here?"

"There's no time. Sirius Black broke into the castle." I heard. Great. "We're just evacuating all students to the Great Hall, we need you to help search the building"

"I'll be down, I'll just get dressed."

The door closed and the clatter of McGonagall's shoes ceased. Lupin immediately showed up in the room.

"What do we do?" His voice was quavering, his eyes fixed on me. He didn't know how to get out of this situation. We were in a very risky position; if I'm not in the Great Hall, people will start looking for me and if I'm late they will ask where I have been.

"Relax, nothing will happen." I assured him, encouraging myself at the same time. "I'll go to the nearest bathroom and stay there until someone finds me. I'll say some boy broke my heart this night and cry a little. They should buy it."

Lupin shook his head, putting on a flannel shirt, "Black is somewhere in the castle, I won't let you be alone."

"So find me. Then you'll escort me to the very entrance." I said, walking to the door. "C'mon, we don't have much time."

He didn't seem happy, but he followed me. He was the first to show up at McGonagall's, I left a moment later. I took my shoes off so as not to make any noise. I was running through the corridors, praying that one of the teachers wouldn't suddenly come around the corner.

Lupin found me before I even got to the bathroom. He was, thankfully, alone. He mumbled my name as I fell into his arms. We only split up about ten minutes ago and on the first occasion I was clinging to him anyway.

"You alright? Anything on Black?" I asked while we were making our way to the ground floor in a hurry.

"He attacked the painting to the Gryffindor Tower. We know he was here, but there is no trace of him."

The route from the first floor wasn't long, so we stopped talking before someone could hear us by accident. Dumbledore stood outside the entrance to the Great Hall to protect the students. When he noticed me, he raised an eyebrow.

"Miss Jenkins? The Slytherin students have been relocated a long time ago." He remarked, staring at me. I held my shoes in one hand, and with the other I tried to fix the makeup that was running down my face, which I had cleverly smeared just a minute ago.

"Whatever." I replied, playing angry. I entered the room without looking back. Lupin had to justify me himself.

I found Brook and Jaylee who threw me a sleeping bag. They gave me suggestive glances. I rolled my eyes and lay down gratefully on the ground. I was tired of the attractions of this night. I could use a good night's sleep. The only thing I was worried about was the lack of a bathroom while almost the entire Snake House was drunk.

The next day both my back and head hurt. There was no trace of Black and the teachers expected us to participate in classes as if nothing happened. It was unimaginable to me, so after breakfast I went straight to my own bed and slept through the first two lessons.

I got a letter from my parents. Not just any letter, they didn't write to me for no reason. As soon as I recognized their handwriting, it spoiled my humour for the rest of the day. I put off reading it for as long as I could but when the evening came, I opened the envelope, fearing that my parents expected me to answer immediately.