Four: Come in

I had the feeling that what happened that evening had affected me all too deeply. That I had revealed myself too much to him. When he talked, he was not speaking to the character I created, but to me. I felt overly... connected.

I promised myself that I wouldn't allow myself to have such moments of weakness anymore. I just couldn't. I needed to isolate what Ethelyn was doing with Lupin and who Ethel really was.

Ryley was the best for it. I spent the whole Saturday with him. We never spent so much time together and he seemed to notice it himself, but didn't say a word. After all, he had nothing to complain about. On the way to his Quidditch practice, I ran into Lupin, who was a pleasant surprise.

"Did you went out for a stroll as well?" He asked. He seemed in a good mood today.

I shook my head. "No, I'm on my way to the pitch, Slytherin team is training."

"Good, the weather is too nice to sit in the castle and read books." He stuffed his hands in his pockets again. I guess he did that whenever he didn't know what else to do. "You're a fan of Quidditch?"

"I'm not a fan, but it seems to be a fun sport to watch."

"Watch? You're not a player?" His brows knitted in surprise.

I chuckled at his unawareness. "Of course not, girls aren't allowed on the team."

He looked even more lost. "So what are you going to training for?"

Of course I didn't want to tell him that I was going because of the team's certain young player. I would've shot myself in the foot really. "I'm seeing a friend there to, you know, gossip. It's so loud no one will overhear us."

He nodded and the corners of his lips arched upward but he seemed not convinced. Or he simply didn't approve of how I spent my leisure time. Maybe he expected me to want to come along and wander about the grounds with him, but I wasn't looking for a chance to get away from this man only to do just the opposite. It was time to flee.

"Well, have a nice walk, professor. Watch out for any uncontrollable bludgers." I joked, giving him a little smile. With that, we parted ways.

I didn't sit alone during the team practice, Wilton was with me. He kept asking me questions about last night. He was angry I refused to say him anything. He thought I had given up, that I didn't feel up to the task.

"You probably haven't done anything yet. You're just seeking attention." He sneered, laughing to himself.

"Get off my back, you arsehole." I was sick of his attitude. They all acted as if they knew better what to do, but neither of them actually wanted to do something. "You wouldn't have the courage to do it yourself."

"Oh, I would've. The problem is, I'm not gay."

I didn't believe him one bit. Not that he wasn't brave enough, the other part about not being gay. "Okay, then I want to see you do the same with Trelawney."

He grimaced. "That's another level of torture."

Ryley wasn't inquisitive at all, didn't ask any questions. As if Lupin's topic didn't exist. It was really relaxing to be in his company. I was able to forget about my 'second life', not to worry about anything but being here and now. I knew I would have to start thinking about the next step sooner or later, but I put it off until later.

'Later' turn out to be tonight.

It was the middle of the weekend, and instead of spending time with my friends, I was going to my teacher's office to mess with his mind.

I had everything arranged, I was prepared. I knew what I wanted to tell him, what I could share with him, so as to gain his trust. It made me feel in control.