12, the parts of us lost

"YOU WORKED FOR WICKED?" Thomas asked Mary and Madison

"Long time ago." Mary nodded, Madison doing the same. "You know, at first, we had the best intentions. Find a cure, save the world. It was clear you kids were the key, because you were immune. But why? Eventually, we found an answer."

"An enzyme." Daphne guessed and Madison smiled at her, nodding.

"Yup, produced by the brains of the immune. Once separated from the bloodstream... it can serve as a powerful agent to slow the spread of the virus." Madison explained.

"So, you found a cure?" Daphne questioned.

"Not exactly. The enzyme can't be manufactured, only harvested from the immune. The young. Of course, that didn't stop WICKED. If they had their way... they'd sacrifice an entire generation. All for this." Mary held up a small syringe. "A gift of biology. Of evolution. But one not meant for all of us."

Daphne looked at Brenda, who panted softly on a bed while Mary injected the syringe in her. Thomas asked, "How long will that give her?"

"It's different for everyone. A few months maybe." Madison replied. "But that's the catch, isn't it? She'll always need more."

"Okay, let's go outside," Mary sighed. "She'll be fine."

Daphne followed the group out of the medical tent, her eyes landing on Newt and Lizzie, well Sonya, sitting on a rock next to each other.

"What do you remember about me?" She whispered, staring at the ground while her feet kicked the dirt.

Newt looked at her, sighing silently before he spoke, "Not much honestly. As soon as I saw you, small things came back and still memories are coming back, in small flashes. I remember your name, obviously. Elizabeth, but you hated it, so when you were three, I called you Lizzie. I remember your little smile in that moment, and from then on, you yelled at anyone who called you anything but Lizzie."

Sonya smiled at that, looking up at her brother while Newt continued, "I remember that you weren't afraid of anything, you were always fearless."

He closed his eyes as he tried to remember, smiling and shaking his head, "Even when they took you for the maze, you had this brave smile on your face. I don't know how, you were so little and yet, when they called your name, you stood up like you were ready for anything."

"Lizzie— Sonya," Newt whispered, the siblings looking at each other. "We're not the same people anymore. You're not Lizzie, you're Sonya, and I'm— I'm not Lizzie's brother, Newt, anymore. I'm just Newt."

"But you can be my brother." Sonya whispered back. "I can be your sister, I don't care if I don't remember you, you're still my brother."