13, and the ones we did lose

WHEN SHE TRIED HARD enough, Daphne could remember her mother, her adoptive mother, reading fairytales to her and Trinity before bed

WHEN SHE TRIED HARD enough, Daphne could remember her mother, her adoptive mother, reading fairytales to her and Trinity before bed. Stories of princes and princesses, and sometimes Juliet would change the stories so the princess saved the prince. Once Daphne could read she realized that her mother changed the stories just to encourage her and Trinity to be able to save themselves. And they could.

In those stories, it was easy to tell who the bad guy was. The protagonist versus the antagonist. Cinderella and the stepmother, Rapunzel and the witch, the little mermaid and the sea witch. It was light and darkness, good and evil was distinctly clear.

She couldn't say the same for reality. It isn't as simple as the fairytales, it's not as black and white. WICKED thought they were good, and maybe in some aspects they are. They're trying to find a cure for a disease that is killing humanity. But in order to find the cure, they have to hurt and sacrifice a generation of kids that is immune to the virus.

So, who is the villain here?

Can WICKED really be the hero— The knight in shining armor, if they have to hurt immunes like Daphne and her friends in order to defeat the virus? Are the Gladers villains in some ways for refusing to help save the human race?

What if, in some twisted way, the Flare is the hero here? A virus that has come to extinct more than half of humanity, except the few that are immune. Humans could be the bad guys, they are the ones that destroyed the Earth, and now it's all covered in sand. This could be evolution taking its course.

Or maybe that's just over complicating things.

A WICKED agent forced Daphne and the other Gladers to their knees, lining them up in single file. A bomb was thrown at the truck they stood in front of, electrocuting all of them and making them go limp. She stared at the ground, fear growing in her chest, the on the ground between Trinity and Newt. Newt glanced at her, holding her hand before another agent dragged Sonya towards them, putting her next to Aris whilst Newt looked at her, concerned.

"How many did we get?" Daphne looked up at the sound of Janson's voice. Newt squeezed the brunette's hand, but his eyes didn't leave Janson, anger present in his face as his jaw clenched. His other hand turned into a fist. That was him, that was the man that hurt his and Daphne's baby.

"All of them. Give or take." An agent replied.

"Give or take what?" Janson questioned, glancing at the Gladers.

"Well, they lost a few." The agent shrugged and Janson turned around, looking at the crowd in front of him. His eyes landed on Mary, Madison, and Vince, smirking, "Hello Madi."

"Janson." Madison replied in a whisper.

Another guard walked up to Minho, grabbed him by the collar and putting a device in the back of his neck while he struggled. "A4."