Chapter 11✔

Meena's Mehndi

Irtaza watched her stepping out from her car. She struggled with her dupatta and a smile touched his lips. Ever so clumsy, Ms. Hussain frowned hard as her mother passed her a disapproving look. Irtaza had been in his study, having a strong cup of coffee before heading downstairs to attend his sister' s Mehndi.

The study's window looked out over the parking and so he had been amusing himself watching the people arrive. When Zoya had stepped down she had looked up at the glamour and the sparkles of his home, tilting her face up in the same manner she had done while enjoying that ice-cream few months ago. The light falling onto her skin was giving her twinkling glow. Sucking the breath and the rational thoughts out of him.

It was getting ridiculous. It would be self-delusional of him if said he didn't find her desirable. Damn he didn't even like her. She was too naïve, sometimes too judgmental, indecisive and a talker. Her forehead was a little too wide (just so perfect to plant his lips and kiss her forehead every time she had one of those meltdowns.) And her eyes a little too big, sparkled every time she looked at the people she loved. Her mouth that was perfect, vexed him with its endless stream of funny non curse insults. A surprise for both of them.

MashAllah. He whispered as he eyed her with desire.
Irtaza shuddered. What was he thinking? He wanted to lock himself in an asylum for entertaining such thoughts. He was looking for a mature, elegant woman. Zoya was neither mature nor elegant? He laughed. She was opposite of it. Yet he couldn't deny that she had been plaguing his mind and his diary- that lately had become all about her. Collapsing in his chair he gulped coffee. He had it bad even though he didn't want to admit it.

He couldn't deny he had dreamed of her. He had been so furious with her over her immature texts that he could barely respond. She was far too opinionated and such an overthinking toad! Toad? Swan! He corrected himself.
She had helped him see the right in that matter. His Meenu really was happy, and the happiness of the family was all that mattered to him.

He tried not to remember that dream. Specifically, he tried not to remember the details of the dream—the smile she had passed him as her eyes caught his. She had been sitting on the table with his mother sipping 'chai'. Her 'chaiholic' mother's eyes were sparkling, content to have a chai partner. He who had been sitting on the sofa, had looked over to find her looking at him. And then she gave him that dazzling smile. A smile so bright that he woke up panting!

It was a peaceful dream but the moment he had woken up it had all felt like a nightmare. The memory always left him feeling disoriented. Memory? Ha. It wasn't even a real memory. Just a dream, he reminded himself. Just a dream.

He couldn't help how she made her blood rush. Or how her thoughts never left his mind. 4 months! He had seen her after 4 months, a week ago but never a day had passed, that he wasn't reminded of her. From Imagine dragons to the stray cats he had started feeding with the leftovers, everything reminded him of her.

Shaking his head he stood up from the chair, straightening his shoulders as if he were arming himself for the battle. Uh-oh, that was how he felt. If he was lucky, he would be able to avoid all the women his mother had lined up from him and her. He had to avoid her too, because his heart kept telling him that she was the one for him. His brain wasn't ready to accept that.

Zoya knew the second, he walked into the garden where all festivities were taking place. She tried to tell herself that it was nothing. Awareness of the man and her humongous crush on him weren't real. All of it had to do with the fact that he was incredibly handsome causing uproar among all the single ladies.

She with the rest of the ladies eyed him. The plain cream kurta he had been wearing with the waistcoat that had floral motives made him look shahana (majestic). The beard made him look more intense. He didn't look her way and she was glad. A lie! She was so disappointed and dismayed that she refused the kashmiri chai that was offered to her by the waiter. She didn't want him to catch her eyeing him. But she also couldn't help but look at him. The yellow lights were giving everything a romantic glow.

Zoya tried to keep her eyes off from the girl in baby blue who had been acting a little too friendly with him. Her disposition was not improved instead it worsened when she noticed that he was equally fascinated by the lady in blue sari.

Why it bothered Zoya so much, she didn't know. Why was she feeling this possessive streak? She should be feeling vindicated that he had finally changed his thoughts about marriage. The lady looked his type, elegant and graceful. She stood tall beside him, with her hair in a sleek bun screaming chic. Disappointment washed over her. There was this uncomfortable feeling around her heart that made her want to slump and disappear into the crowd.

She watched them exchange smiles. And she felt disgusted. He hadn't even showed her the common decency of greeting. She was a guest. Instead, he stood few feet away cracking jokes with the girl in blue sari completely oblivious of her. Despite the disgust she still couldn't stop staring. The lady leaned forward whispering something in his ears and Zoya could kill to hear the conversation notwithstanding her decision on eaves dropping. Then the charm girl reached out and tucked at his collar. WHATS WITH THE PDA? Zoya shivered with envy. Now he was leaning forward whispering something in her ear.

Thori se bhi sharam hai is banday ko? (Does this man have any shame?) His mother was sitting just beside Zoya and if Zoya could see it, so could she. A little decorum in the company of family would have been very much appreciated.

"Zoya? Zoya?"
Ya Allah why am I feeling bad. It isn't that I was in love with him.
I am feeling bad because he lectures me aur khud kya kar raha hai! Yeh insan!
"Zoya!"
"Haan! Jee?" Zoya nearly jumped out of the sofa as she whirled around to face Alizey who was her only friend attending the mehndi apart from Meena, the bride herself.

"Stop watching Irtaza.," Alizey hissed with an irritated expression.
"I wasn't watching him. I was watching the lady in blue sari. Did you see them? I mean her. Her sari is gorgeous. I wonder where she got it from?" Zoya whispered. She looked back at that spot to find them gone.

Alizey's lips pursed into a tight line before she said, "You need to work on the lying. You hate sleeveless and backless blouses."
"I don't like them from myself. But I can appreciate others if they are wearing it. No?"
"Well, stop watching him like a jealous girlfriend. Chalo, Kainat aur Fazeela ko video call kartay hain." (Lets video call Kainat and Fazeela)
Zoya felt her shoulders sag. Alizey grasped her arm with a grip that tolerated no protest. "Chalo Zoe" she said quietly and Zoya followed.

Kainat and Fazeela couldn't attend the wedding despite being invited by Meena. Karachi was too far away from Fazeela and Kainat was busy somewhere in Europe. Alizey's hand firmly held Zoya's as she guided her forcing her to meet the guest. She introduced Zoya to all her 'susural walay.' (in-laws)

Finally they reached the front of a small crowd where Hashim grasped Alizey's hand. "Mrs. Hashim" he said warmly, "what a delight to see you again. Have you seen my wife?" He asked and Zoya rolled her eyes inwardly at their romance.
Kya cringe hai yeh log. Uff

"Nai mainay nai dekhi (I haven't seen her) Maybe my friend Zoya can help you." Alizey replied as she motioned for Zoya, who stepped forward.
"Zoe, who Aunty Musrat is looking for you." He said as he winked. He knew she had been hiding from his Musrat Khala since his wedding. She didn't want to marry Musrat Khala's rich brat who just knew how to waste and plunder his dad's wealth.

"Yaar tum dono karo yeh apna sasta romance, main jaa rahi hoon chupnay. Alizey please Aunty Mustarat ko mama say door rakhna." Zoya begged before she slipped away.