𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨: 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐡

After seeing the ominous reflection of yellow eyes, things remained pitch black and cold. You couldn't open your eyelids even if you wanted to. You thought you fell unconscious, sometimes you almost believed you were dead. But suddenly, there was a distant echo of a voice calling your name. Several voices actually, and they sounded so familiar.

That was when you felt your fingers twitch. Your heart starts pumping wildly, blood rushing through every vein that made your skin tingle and warm. That feeling reaches your limbs until you were sure enough that your body was able to move. You open your eyes and inhaled sharply.

You barely had time to register the painful light stabbing through your eyes when a shadow overhead blocks them. Bushy hair is pushed into your face while arms trap you in a tight embrace. You recognized the person instantly.

"'Mione," you mutter. You're not able to move your arms all around her to return the hug, so you settle for just squeezing her upper arm. "What..."

Hermione lifts her head from your chest. "You got petrified. We got petrified," she explains with a bright smile. "But they did it! Ron and Harry solved it!"

It took your muddled brain a moment to process what she just said. The events beforehand come back to you like a tidal wave and Hermione's last words made you grin.

"They did it!" You exclaim and engulf her in another hug, giving her cheek a big kiss. "They did it! They did it!"

You and Hermione giggle to yourselves, mostly overjoyed that the two idiots (her words, not yours) managed to figure out what she managed to dig up in the library. So the eyes you saw belonged to a Basilisk, a gigantic snake that can petrify people through indirect eye contact. Those who stared straight at it, however, suffered instant death. You shudder when Hermione told you that. You were relieved that you only saw its reflection.

Thankfully, the Mandrake juice was finished in time. Everyone who got petrified was cured and was being checked by Madam Pomfrey to ensure that there weren't any lasting injuries. Even Sir Nicholas was floating jovially in the air, eventually phasing through the ceiling once he was allowed to go.

It wasn't long until after your small talk with Hermione that the curtains surrounding your bed were shifted aside, and a familiar plump woman brought you to her arms.

"Oh, thank goodness!" Cried Mrs. Weasley, cupping your face that you were able to see her pale complexion. "I almost fainted when I heard the news! Are you alright, dear? Do you need anything? How about a nice cup of hot chocolate?"

Behind her, Mr. Weasley was peering over her shoulder, shooting you a relieved smile that you returned with your own.

"That sounds lovely, Mrs. Weasley," you said, looking at her again, "but what are you doing here?"

"I was going to tell you," began Hermione, "that Ginny was taken by the Basilisk. But she's safe now!" She assures hurriedly at the look on your face. "Harry and Ron rescued her. They called Mr. and Mrs. Weasley because of that."

Like magic, Ginny appears at Mr. Weasley's side as if summoned at the mention of her name. She was nursing a mug of hot chocolate, the cocoa scent wafting in the air along with thin streams of smoke. She tenses and avoids your gaze when you wave at her.

"I better get you that hot chocolate," said Mrs. Weasley, patting your head. She stops to ask Hermione if she wanted one, but briskly went away when she declines.

Mr. Weasley nods, a fatherly smile on his face as he places a hand on your shoulder. "I'm glad you're alright. I almost sent a letter to your parents about what happened," he said with a small chuckle. "But, uh, it's best if you tell them yourself. Ease them into the conversation before mentioning it."