Chapter 43: All Our Lives

He couldn't see. He couldn't hear. Everything was a blur. His ears were ringing. His body ached and felt wet. His breaths were raspy. There was so much dust; dust that cut into his lungs with each breath. He tried to stand, as shaky as he was. He almost picked himself up but fell back again. He focused on trying to sit up. There was so much shouting. So much noise. So many people rushing about, to and fro. His eyes blinked and looked up. Where the bunker should have been, was a rock. Where his comrades should have been, was debris and rocks, still smoking from impact. Where doorway should be...was an arm. A bloody, mushed, mutilated arm. 

The screams woke him awake. Suddenly, his body was flung into action. The cry of a young dwarf came from behind the rubble. His pained screams were agonizing to hear, and the crackle of his voice made it all the more unbearable. Grimgor, his vision a mess and his arms heavy, started to rip and tear at the rubble. 

"Dulli! Can you hear me?" shouted Grimgor.

"SIR! M-MR GRIMGOR HELP! I-IT HURTS!" cried the young dwarf.

"I know son I know! Just hold out ok? I'm com-" Another barrage shattered the tunnels to the side of Grimgor. The mountain had been gouged open. Smoke plumed from fire-covered rocks, choking the tunnel air. Grimgor's eyes widened in horror and started to clear the debris faster. One by one, the stones fell to the side as screams, cries and gunshots got louder and louder. Grimgor tossed a large stone away, revealing a half-crushed head staring back at him. Grimgor cried out in horror. It was Telgar. His jaw was hanging off, leaving his disjointed bone-white and golden-plated teeth to scatter across bloodied stones. One eye was crushed under the weight of the debris, while the other was frozen in fear and pain. The two dwarves' eyes connected. Grimgor saw no light in Telgar's eye. Just a hollow darkness. Grimgor screamed out in horror. Telgar was such a fool. Such a rabid drunk. But he was a close friend. A good friend. The kind of friend that always had your back.  Grimgor shook the tears away and lunged back at the rubble. No matter how horrid it was, he still needed to go on. Dulli was still screaming in pain. And Magath...Grimgor shook his head, a face full of tears, and continued on ripping through the stone. 

Another volley crashed into the mountain. It shook the dwarves' eardrums, and the dust and smoke that accompanied it burnt their lungs. "Mr Grimgor...please...help..." whimpered Dulli as his body was starting to buckle under the weight of the rubble. Grimgor clawed at the debris, his hands bloodied with cuts. Blood and bricks showered the ground as the captain frantically fought his way towards the trapped dwarf. A few more rocks were thrown to the side, and out poked a pair of boots. Chocolate brown, with gold patterns decorating them. They were Magath's. Grimgor gritted his teeth and failed to keep the tears from flowing. There was a lot of blood, and he didn't really want to know the outcome. But, even on the off chance, he was still alive...Grimgor threw debris to the side, Dulli still moaning in pain in the background. Grimgor threw a large plate of concrete to the side. Magath was bloody. Lots of cuts, lots of bruises and wounds. But nothing as fatal as his head or arm getting crushed. Grimgor put his ear to Magath's mouth. He was breathing, albeit faintly.

"Oh thank god. Don't worry Magath, my boy, I'll get you out of here." Grimgor stood up and turned to Dulli. "That goes for you as well son" Dulli, despite the pain, grew a smile. He'd be able to keep his promise to his mama. 

Suddenly, another volley crashed into the mountain. Grimgor was thrown to the side as the whole tunnel shook violently. The ceiling gave way as rocks crashed into the floor below. Grimgor's ears were ringing, his vision blurry, and his lungs filled with smoke. He picked himself up again. Shaky, but standing nonetheless. When his eyes were cleared of the dust, they widened in horror. Magath was buried once again, this time in an even thicker pile of rubble. Dulli was trapped further, as the weight of the debris piled on. The young boy screamed in pain. Cried in agonizing, unbearable pain. His teary eyes met Grimgor's. "MR GRIMGOR SIR. PLEASE! PLEASE HELP ME! PLEASE!" Grimgor's hands started to shake. He needed to act fast. Otherwise, they'd both be buried here. Grimgor made his way over to Dulli, passing by the mashed-up corpse of Telgar.