Chapter 17: A Confession

When you awoke, everything felt normal. The sky was blackened by the shadows of the night, with only the dotted stars acting as beacons of light. The moon was nowhere to be seen tonight.

You got up just fine and saw that you were in neat, fresh clothes. No armour or equipment, but the stones were still in their place on your gauntlet. Your arm.....your right arm no longer had a chunk of flesh removed. It was bare; smooth; youthful. You looked around where you lay. Everything was different. No wagon, new location, a smouldering fire attracted the attention of a resting Naofumi and Raphtalia, while Filo was sleeping in her Filolial form. You saw no sign of Melty anywhere. A bit ahead, you saw a hulking figure sitting down on a cut log, resting a colossal battleaxe on his lap and surveying everyone else. He looked....familiar. The figure looked at your direction and gestured for you to come closer. You tip-toed quietly to make sure you didn't disturb your sleeping friends.

"So, you're finally awake. Took you long enough"

"I'm sorry, who are you?"

"The name's Durv, good to make your acquaintance"

"Likewise, I think. What are you doing here?"

"I joined up with your group after I...well....'unkidnapped' Melty here"

"Wait it was you who kidnapped her??" you hiss, gritting your teeth and your eyes flaring a fiery rage

"God this is going to take some time to explain..."

Durv proceeds to tell you about the events that led to where you were at this point, including the kidnapping of Melty, the aftermath of your fight with Immortul (you particularly liked hearing the details of his death) and the ambush by Malty as your party migrated to a new region of Melromarc. You felt as though you let down your party, and mentally kicked yourself for it.

"I hear from Melty you are quite a menacing force, with those glowing stones of yours"

"yeah.....To be perfectly honest though...I wish I was never given them. This power...this looming responsibility...it's just too much for me"

"Well...I...I understand what you mean, at a certain degree anyways" At that moment Durv let out a monstrous yawn that shook the ground to its very core

"Jesus!"

"O-*yawn*-Oh god I'm sorry about that, just a few more hours until morning and then I can have my nap"

"You can have your nap now and wake up with the others, I'll take watch from here on out."

"What? But you just got up!"

"Yeah from a two-day nap! Besides, if you get any paler I might think you're a vampire"

Durv laughed and smirked back at you "Yeah I guess so" He got up and walked towards a soft mound of soil to nap on while you sat back against the bark of a particularly large tree, allowing you to survey the makeshift camp with a better lay of the land.

*A Few Hours Later*

A pitiful amount of light lit up the sky when Raphtalia awoke from her sleeping bag. She yawned loudly and stretched out her tired muscles while making her way over to grab two rations' of breakfast. One litmus loaf for her, and another for yourself. However, what Raphtalia didn't realise was that you were watching her from atop the treeline. You had to admit, you enjoyed seeing how beautiful she looked in the light of dusk. Plus, seeing her enjoy the cake-like litmus loaf brought a smile to your face.

"H-Hey (Yn) I brought you some breakfas-"

Raphtalia dropped the loaf when realising you were no longer in the makeshift bed she had made for you