Chapter 38: Mending Hearts

You went all out. Tender-roasted prime cuts carefully cooked to keep the meaty juices.  Fresh herbs to enhance the taste, bringing out more of the meat. A cranberry jam to turn the savoury meal into a sweet feast. Creamy mashed potatoes churned and churned until your face lit up at the taste. As for the veggies, you couldn't do that much surprisingly. Most of the vegetables were used in soups or stews. Still, you salvaged some wild carrots and broccoli, which were boiled (and chopped in the carrots' case) to a shining masterwork. As for the drinks, there were a few jars of Honeybrew. You wondered if it was a good idea to get drunk right now. But then, the image of Raphtalia's cute, blushing, tipsy face came to mind. You squealed internally and popped the corks, dowsing metal cups in the stuff. Dessert...dessert was special.  A special surprise you intended as a celebratory dish once you got to the mountain, but you decided to this a far more appropriate time to savour the sweet treat.

*Sniff* *sniff* "Hmm...smells good" commented Raphtalia, tuckered out on the blankets.

"Don't fall asleep just yet" you joked, stacking up the dishes on a wooden tray.

"You know, I enjoy your cooking (Yn). Not just because it's tasty, but also because...it's a nice feeling. Even if it's a simple stew or some skewers of fish, I always appreciate the time it took"

"Well, you're about to appreciate harder than you ever have before" The light of the fading sun was blocked by a figure. Raphtalia got up, fidgeting, and rubbed her eyes. You set down a tray in front of her. The smell was infatuating to the tanuki. Once her eyes were finally exposed to the handcrafted feast in front of her, her heart felt numb. Joy consumed her. Love overwhelmed her, and yet a sense of dread gnawed at the back of her mind.

"It looks...oh my goodness...It looks wonderful (Yn)..."

You blushed slightly and gave her a heartfelt smile. You grabbed your own meal and sat next to her.

"Hey Raphtalia...do you...it's just a thought you don't have to do it if you don't want to I'm just saying since we're a couple and all maybe possibly it could be a- "

"(Yn), you're mumbling again. Slow down, and tell say what you want to say"

You took a few heavy breaths, your heart beating a mile a minute. Raphtalia stroked her fingers across your face. You took that hand and held it tightly between the two of yours. You brought it over to your chest-no, your heart, and squeezed tightly.

"I'm just wondering...since it's a beautiful view...and we're relaxing...and I've always wanted to do it...would you like to sit on, or rather in my lap?"

Raphtalia's face turned a little red. At the previous town she read up a few bits about relationships. And it was in there that she learned about how much boys like their girlfriends sitting on, or in this case in, their laps.

"I-Isn't that a bit...lewd though?" she asked with a blushing whisper.

"I-I mean...sometimes...but I-it doesn't have to be! It can be...wholesome. It can be cute and cuddly."

She put a finger on her chin, seemingly in deep thought. "Well, what is the reason you want me to sit in your lap? Is it to be wholesome, or lewd?"

You hung your head low, your face a bright red. "A...bit of both" you croaked out, which was barely audible if not for Raphtalia's fantastic sense of hearing. 

"W-Well...I guess there's no harm in trying it out, but I would like to set out one specific rule. No disagreements, no buts. Ok?"

You nodded your head in furious anticipation and excitement "Y-Yes ma'am!"

Raphtalia kept her goofy smile to herself as she attempted to conduct herself seriously. "You cannot touch me anywhere here, or here, and especially here. Cuddles and snuggles? That's fine. But do not overstep your boundaries. If you're unsure if you should touch that area, then ask. And..." Raphtalia's voice took a sharp nosedive in volume as her cheeks simultaneously heated up "...if you want to touch...somewhere...on the no-no list...then...ask me first..." she squeaked. You grew a grin, intending to prologue the blush a bit longer.