Chapter 26: Colossus

You all watched on as Durv roared and manhandled Reiber like a child handling a toy. He slammed him across the walls and the floors; crashing into chandeliers and cracking oil paintings. He flung the sack of fat and flesh through the window, crashing in a dance of shattered glass and raindrops of blood. Durv roared again. This time, you all felt the world rock and tremble at his anger. He seemed to grow more...bullish the louder he got. He plunged through the shattered window onto the streets below.

"This is bad" muttered Naofumi

"What-WHAT was THAT?!" cried out Melty, her eyes flooding with tears

"It's ok Mel, he...he's still Durv after all" comforted Filo with her hand on her shoulder

"Master Naofumi, what are we going to do?" asked Raphtalia

"...."

"(Yn), do you have any ideas?" she asked

You stood silent. What Durv was doing was...righteous in your eyes. Not heroic, but necessary. But...even you saw how Durv's once warm eyes turned into a fiery blaze fuelled by vengeance. "If Durv continues on this rampage, he may kill so many more people. I think...I think he hates humans, and I'm not surprised."

"You're saying he was putting on an act?" asked Naofumi

"Yeah, I do. I think he was just trying to not piss us off, as much as I hate to say it"

"NO! It-IT CAN'T BE TRUE" screeched Melty, her voice choked by sorrow

"Shh shh...Durv wouldn't think like that Melty...He likes us." Raphtalia shot a glare at you. You looked away in shame and confusion.

"I...have no idea what to do now" you say defeated "Naofumi, you're the leader here. Please, you have to have a solution"

Naofumi sighed and looked on the destruction Durv was causing. A fire had already caught on and was spreading from building to building. The roar of its flames matched in-tune with the screams of guards and soldiers, chorusing a beautiful symphony of death and destruction. "I think we need to take down Durv. All of us. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and we need to bounce off each other to take him down."

"Wait NO, PLEASE YOU CAN'T-"

"Before we get ahead of ourselves, by 'take down' I mean knockout. Currently, our best fighter can barely fight at all, so Melty, you need to stay close to (Yn) while he attacks Durv. Focus all your energy on healing him."

"Wait...how did you know?" you ask in total shock

"You mean about your drawbacks? I'm much more perceptive than I seem (Yn). Anyways, while (Yn) here peppers Durv with ranged attacks Raphtalia, Filo and I will get in close. Raphtalia, try to slice Durv's Achille's heel. Filo, you and I need to try and distract Durv as much as possible. Hopefully, if our timing is good, (Yn) can get a good shot in at his horn. That should limit his strength."

"Naofumi, this is a very...risky plan of yours. All without the assumption that Durv will go berserk and just start creating earthquakes or something" you comment

"Well...yeah. But do you have a better idea?"

You sigh "No...I don't"

"Then let's go, we've wasted enough time here as it is"

"Right!" you all say in affirmation

Reiber coughed violently. He tried to look around, but his vision was too hazy to see anything. His body felt...cold, but on the inside. His sense of gravity was disorientated. He felt as though he was in a barrel tumbling down a hill. Through all the fuzz and dust, however, he started to make out something. Two...dots. No, not dots. They were...red. Blood-red, and powered by rage. Their glare bled its way into Rabier's soul, causing his heart and mind to scream in terror. But no words came out of his mouth, he was too weak for that. Instead, he looked on quietly: Confused and scared.