《62》

Gods...I'm really sorry guys. I didn't take a month off on purpose, honest. I just...got sidetracked I guess (Criminal Minds is a great show)...I don't really know. But I hope this chapter makes up for it because oh boy.

You guys thought you'd seen angst in this story...

...it's nothing compared to this.

I might've gone a little overboard...

...oh well.

《<>》

Piper

"I honestly can't believe you're alive," Percy muttered again.

Frank's eye twinkled amusedly. "You and me both," he agreed. He then tensed as a random pain sent his leg into spasms. Percy grunted, trying to keep Frank upright.

I forced myself to look away.

Seeing Frank hurt. No matter how relieved I was that he was alive, it still killed me to know that the pain he was suffering, the hideous scars that now disfigured half his face and body...that was all caused by...Jason.

I scrunched my eyes tightly, blinking back tears. I forcefully wiped the picture of Frank's missing ear and where the corner if his lips had fused together from my mind.

However, another, more horrific nightmare took its place.

"I need you to kill me," he said, his voice hoarse.

I glanced back to where Percy help Frank limp down the tunnel.

My grip on my sword tightened. The cursed ice seem to speak with wicked intent. I cried for vengance. The jagged edge longed for blood.

The blade screamed in pain. The pain of hundreds of men, women, children, friends and loved ones who's last breaths had been smoke and flame. The pain of warriors who'd fallen to golden blades and bloody shadows. Hazel's pain. Jason's pain.

Maybe it wasn't the sword.

My head throbbed and my mouth dried. My sandpaper tongue ran it's coarse surface across the roof of my mouth as I fought against swallowing the overbearing truth:

I was drowning under the pain of my fellow demigods.

And blood had to be paid.

<>

I should've realised something was wrong when nothing attacked as I stepped out into the sunlight.

And I definitely should've realised something was wrong when I stepped out into quiet.

There was always a calm before the storm.

And just as the final member of our party emerged from the tunnel, the silence shattered when he launched his golden blade toward my face.