《39》

Lou Ellen

As a child of Hecate, I was naturally good at sensing magic and mist. But that didn't mean I could explain what was happening. All I knew, was that something was unsettling the mist in New Rome, something powerful. Though it seemed strangely familiar to me.

I looked toward the city curiously, drifting away from the arguements happening by the river. The loud, irrational voices of the mortals, Hazel, Frank and Reyna dulling from my ears. My feet began to drag me toward the strange sensations tainting the mist.

"Lou?" A hand settled itself on my shoulder. I glanced back around to see my brother.

I glared and turned away. "I told you to stop talking to me," I grumbled and folded my arms across my chest.

"Then you know I wouldn't be here unless it was important," he insisted.

With a sigh, I turned back to him and met his tired, green eyes, drained of life. I raised my eyebrows as a challenge, to hint that he should start explaining or disappear.

"You sense it too right?" He asked, glancing behind me and shivering as if he could feel the chill in the air.

"And?" I deadpanned. "What is it?"

"It's dark and ancient," he replied, vaguely.

I continued to glare, demanding a straight answer.

"Something is coming Lou Ellen," he deflected. "I'm not sure what, only that a lot of death will follow. You need to leave with all our other siblings."

"Then what?" I scoffed. "Join you in exile? If there is a fight coming like you say, my siblings and I are going to fight beside Camp Half-blood and the Romans."

He released an exasperated breath. "And for the gods?"

I shook my head. "I don't fight for the gods. I fight for my family and to keep the world as it is. You lost sight of that when you joined Kronos and the titans."

"I joined our mother," he snapped.

"I don't fight for our mother either." He looked as though he wanted to snap back but I inturrupted. "This is my crossroads Alabaster. And I choose the loyal path." Before he could argue, I swiped my hand through the apparition, swatting the mist away, along with Alabaster's message.

But his words lingered in the air like frost, cold and potentially deadly. Something is coming. It's dark and ancient. A lot of death will follow.

I shivered and looked back towards the city. It felt as though a dark cloud was amassing over New Rome, churning with hatred and ancient power. Again, that strange familiarity threw me off. The power felt unfamiliar...but the presence it dominated from, was something I knew.

Then it clicked.

I barely screamed, "HE'S IN NEW ROME!" before a huge wave of heat threw me back. I glanced up the flames left over from the huge explosion. Columns of searing white, red and purple flames crackled loudly but barely disguised the pained screams of the citizens within.

《<>》

Hazel

"HE'S IN NEW ROME!" Someone screamed desperately.